Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MILITARY MEDAL.

steve140968

Can anyone please tell me whether a soldier gazetted for a Military Medal award would automatically receive the MID oakleaf , many thanks , Steve .

Steve,

No! The two awards are completely different and not related.

The Military Medal was awarded for "Bravery in the Field" (as per the reverse inscription), the award of which was recorded in the London Gazette.

A person whose activities singled him out for recognition, be it in the face of the enemy or simply doing his duty behind the lines exceptionally well, could be mentioned in the Despatch of the Officer Commanding the Army or Corps etc. If this Despatch was published in the London Gazette, along with the names of those singled out for "praise", then they are considered to have been "Mentioned in Despatches" and the oak leaf emblem awarded.

Regards

Steve

I stand to be corrected but no, the oakleaf is not awarded with the MM see this forums parent website:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad_gallantry.htm#mid

MID were for actions which did not warrant the award of a gallantry medal as such, although I beleive they were also awarded for "meritorious " behaviour as well. GAreth

;) Thanks Gareth and Steve . Would you know whether a MID would show up on the soldiers MIC , thanks , Steve .

Hi Steve Im afraid the answer is a might. If you look up the national archives for your man on the Catalogue number will be a number 372/XX I think if its a 372/24 or 372/23 its shows a bravery or MID I cant remember of hand which is which. These are also listed out of christian name alphabetical order. Gareth

The MIC should have the word "Emblem" or "EMB" on it for a MID. I say should as medals were quite often not recorded on the standard MIC - even VCs!

WO372/23 is for MMs and DCMs (also cmpaign medals for women)

WO372/24 is for MIDs and MSMs.

Steve.

;) Thanks Gareth and Steve . I've downloaded three MIC's of my man Sgt George Murray Clarke MM . None appear to have any mention of an emblem award . One MIC is for his MM , one is for his 15 star / british war medal and victory medal , however one MIC doesn't appear to have anything other than his KIA date ( 1/7/1916 ). Can anyone shed any light on this last MIC ? Many thanks , Steve .

Ive just had a good look for your Mentions, no sign trouble is if he was gazetted as PS/955 the slash will probably confuse the (LG) reader. No point in trying his name cos it begins the line with mentions, so the reader will not read it. GAreth

;) Cheers Gareth , Steve .