Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Transfers From Training

Guest C729LEE

Forum

I would like to know if men could have trained with one regiment/unit and upon their moving to the specified theatre of war, be transferred immediately without actually been in the line with their original unit ?

As a collector\student of, in the main, the Lincolnshire Regiment, I have noticed batches as we have discussed before. To Royal Scots/Queen's/HLI/East Yorks.

I have found that a number of men{15} numbered consequetively, moved to the Monmouths.

Numbered 203472 to 203494 with some numbers unallocated or the odd man seconded to the West Kent's.

The Lincs regimental numbers strike me as been later wartime entrants, probably starting out with the reserve battalions.

What are your thoughts on this?

LinL :)

Lee,

The Monmouths as Im sure you are aware was only Territorial, the number range you give for the men transfering in, is in the range for the Argyle & Sutherlands 5th Territorial Battalion. Did they transfer from there to the Lincolns?

Hope that helps Charles

Lee

The following are the numbers for the Monmouthshire Regiment

1st Battalion - 225001-265000

2nd Battalion - 265001- 290000

3rd Battalion 290001-315000

Hope that helps

Dave

Lee

I have an inkling as to what has caught your eye. ;)

Anyway given the numbers that Dave has provided for the Monmouths this would make the men you have spotted 1st Monmouths (46th Division). The Lincs numbers these man have are 4th Lincs (possibly 1/4th also 46th Division) so it is my guess that they could have moved to the Monmouths on the disbandment of the 1/4th early in 1918.

Hope not too much time has been spent in steel production over the festive spell.

Chris

Lee,

Lincolns 1917 TF numbers were as follows;-

4th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 200001 - 240000

5th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 240001 - 265000

13th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 265001 - 290000

Dave,

4th Bn,Monmouths new numbers 315001 - 340000 (all Monmouth numbers known as the South Wales Borderers series, which begins with the Brecknock Bn numbers 200001 - 225000 in ACI2414)

Charles,

Argyll & Sutherland TF numbers for 1917;

5th Bn,A&SH new numbers 200001 - 250000

6th Bn,A&SH new numbers 250001 - 275000

7th Bn,A&SH new numbers 275001 - 300000

8th Bn,A&SH new numbers 300001 - 325000

9th Bn,A&SH new numbers 325001 - 350000

16th Bn,A&SH new numbers 350001 - 375000

All new 1917 TF numbers for each individual regiment began at 200001. A complete list of all new numbers and amendments to these numbers can be found in Army Council Instructions.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Charles/Dave N/Chris/Graham S

Chaps, thank you for your replies - they have all been noted.

The men, Illingsworth of Hull and Walker were with the 4th or possibly 5th Lincs and went to the Mon's.

The 203*** No's pertain to the Lincs and are on the medals.

I am beginning to find the movement of men between regiments rather interesting.

I have not had anything to do with the Mon's until now, so had no idea that they were Territorials.

Chris has seen the items I am interested in - is he stalking me?????

Got back to work Boxing Day - could do without it - but cant do without the money. Its a grin really.

When are you going to complete your 5th Lincs talks - it has somewhat wetted my appetite.

Anything I find of interest on these chaps I will share with the Mon's fans on the Forum.

Got to go - work is awaiting my attention.

Soon be days off.

Lee

Lee,

Lincolns 1917 TF numbers were as follows;-

4th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 200001 - 240000

5th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 240001 - 265000

13th Bn,Lincs - new numbers 265001 - 290000

All new 1917 TF numbers for each individual regiment began at 200001. A complete list of all new numbers and amendments to these numbers can be found in Army Council Instructions.

Graham.

Graham

Where can these lists be viewed, it would certainly be useful in my research.

Lee

Lee,

Copies of ACI's and Army Orders are held in the MOD Library and the NA. Not sure if the IWM and NAM also hold copies.

Graham.

Lee

I have my spies Lee, even in the steelworks.... :D

Seriously though i was tempted myself to have a rare dabble into the purchase of some medals but having just purchased a couple of Lincs postcards and a somewhat spur of the moment decision to buy a medal pair to a RN man from Cleethorpes money is on the scant side, particularly after Xmas pressies for Mrs Bailey and Thomas.

I have been pencilled in to return for the second part in September (date to be confirmed).

Chris

PS: Lee, having purchased these RN medals and traced the mans ship, where locally will mount them in a frame?

PS: Lee, having purchased these RN medals and traced the mans ship, where locally will mount them in a frame?

For you, Chris, as you are such a star with information, a bloody know all, and a thoroughly nice bloke,

I'll do 'em for you - fer nowt. Are all you Yorkies listening - I won't bring the Scots into it, I owe a couple of favours to 'em :D

I'll drop by work with a few samples and you can see for yourself what is available colours wise and frame style. I like the modern metal, brushed/matt silver or gold - or if you like the more austere look wooden pressed form type. You can have a butchers, anyway. All done with caligraphy titles or computer generated captions.

I'm just doing a 39/45 Star/Atlantic Star/WW2 BWM/South Atlantic Medal group to a chap from Cleethorpes, served on the Norland.

Let me know what you think.

Lee

SEPTEMBER????????? - HALF THE CLIENTELLE THERE THE OTHER NITE WILL BE DEAD BY THEN - AND THE REST OF 'EM WILL HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT. ME INCLUDED. BLIMEY

Lee,

Couple of things, not likely to have been part of the excess men when the 1/4th & 2/4th joined together in early 1918. The 1/4th's diary is detailed on who went where.

Yes, it was possible that a lad would go out to the front and be transferred without seeing service with his original unit. There's a fairly large group of Lincs Terriers who this happened to in Sept 1916, transferred to the 1st KORL within a couple of weeks, never having reached either the 4th or 5th battalions.

I have some medal rolls of higher 4th Lincs numbers, interesting thing is that none served abroad with the 4th....

Jim