Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hotels in and around Bethune

Brigantian

Visiting the Loos battlefields March/April 2006. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in or near Bethune?

Regards

Mark

Is that a whole frog in each one, leg(s) only or a sort of minced or pureed affair?

Mark,

Some ten years ago the Dutch WFA stayed at the Vieux Beffroi in the market place and we liked both the rooms (splendidly old-fashioned as French rooms should be) and the food.

Besides, it has a marvellous view of the market-place, one of the prettiest in the North of France.

All the best,

Fred

Is that a whole frog in each one, leg(s) only or a sort of minced or pureed affair?

Just be happy it aint squirrel ravioli oh great acorn eating bushy tailed one ;) And we may hear from the Evilandymax! :angry: who thinks squirrel should be pan fried while I, having killed and eaten many more than he,insists on squirrel stew! :P

Edited by paul guthrie

Fred

Thanks for the hotel recommendation, it sounds ideal. I am, however, becoming a little concerned about the local cuisine :huh:

Regards

Mark

Mark,

Why are you becoming concerned with the local cuisine? LE VIEUX BEFFROI's cuisine was all right then.

But if you mean 'andouillettes' , I see what you mean. They are made of the cheapest meat and to Brits and many non-French continentals they smell a lot.

Regards,

Fred

Mark,

Why are you becoming concerned with the local cuisine? LE VIEUX BEFFROI's cuisine was all right then.

But if you mean 'andouillettes' , I see what you mean. They are made of the cheapest meat and to Brits and many non-French continentals they smell a lot.

Regards,

Fred

God, I got that once by mistake in Peronne, could not eat it! :( All kidding aside, Hedley is serious about the frog ravioli and says it's great! He has not picked up on this thread, email him, it's one of the places on the main square, very nice town, wish it could change places with Albert!

Edited by paul guthrie

Paul

I agree. I can eat most things put in front of me - but not andouillettes - and that was before I knew what they were made of.

Squirrel stew? Isnt that what my US recipe books call a Kentucky Burgoo?

There was a recent TV foodie programme in Britland advocating eating squirrel. Very tasty and ridding ourselves of the immigrant American grey pest at the same time.

John

As a change from the normal b&b when I travel alone, my wife an I stayed in Gosnay just a few miles from Bethune at "La Chatreuse du Val Saint Esprit". see http://www.lachartreuse.com/.

From 102euros for a standard room, but rather nice.

There's a 'gastronomic' restaurant in the main building and some excellent but cheaper restaurants in the courtyard.

Andy

Back to squirrel consumption, a problem with small game like squirrels and birds is damaging the meat when you shoot them. A really good shot will use a .22 rifle and shoot squirrels in the head but some folks eat the brains and they are ruint plus most folks aren't that good.

My Uncle Zeke in Harlan County had a wife and her name was Baby, well she was the ugliest woman in the county! He would take her up on a mountain before dawn, sit real still, pretty soon those squirrels would start moving, cutting those nuts, sooner or later they would look at Baby and drop dead and fall out of the tree! When they had their limit they'd go home.

Well one day Uncle Joe was squirrel hunting and saw Zeke with a gun, he feared the worst! " Zeke , what are you a doin with a gun? Is something wrong with Baby?"

" Naw, I had to quit using Baby, she tore them squirrels up too bad!" :ph34r:

At the risk of interrupting the Beverly Hillbillys Thread, this was a good Bethune hotel when I stayed in 2002, only 50 euros per night, and a good restaurant in house or a good Italian round the corner.

http://www.ase.net/servlet/DisplayHotel/2107756

ps Andouillettes are delicious......................

ps Andouillettes are delicious......................

A friend and I went to France in 2000 and had andouillettes in a restaurant there. Never again!

As we've said ever since, it looked like a ****, smelled like a **** and tasted like a ****. Therefore...

Sorry to lower the tone...

(P.S. The asterisks were mine - voluntary censorship!)

I live in Paris and make very enthusiastic efforts to avoid Andouillettes. They come with a rating system: from a single 'A' up to 5 A's. I presume the '5' efforts pack more pigs intestines, nostrils, stomach matter and eye sockets in than most.The locals love them. The starving Tommies even probably avoided them.

But! The Saussice de Toulouse...ah yes.

Mark,

Some ten years ago the Dutch WFA stayed at the Vieux Beffroi in the market place and we liked both the rooms (splendidly old-fashioned as French rooms should be) and the food.

Besides, it has a marvellous view of the market-place, one of the prettiest in the North of France.

All the best,

Fred

Stood there in 2003. The view of the square was great, but everything else well below expectations. I don't recommend it. Unfortunately later trips to the area failed to find a hotel or B&B that I found suitable. Seems to be somewhat of a wasteland for accomodations.

Robert

I've stayed in the Beffroi and the Cupole on the square in Bethune and both are fine if your expectations are not too high. There is a Campanile on the edge of Bethune which is reasonable and - I think - a Premier Class next door.

Yes the Campanile and Premier Class are up by the motorway junction. Regular inexpensive hotels, I have used both on various occasions - easy to find and not a bad walk into town. But after visiting the great bars/restuarants in the centre of Bethune it does seem to be a long walk back

MC

After much deliberation I have opted for the apparent luxury of the La Chatreuse du Val Saint Esprit at Carnoy.

On the food front, I shall be studiously avoiding any amphibian or rodent dishes :P .

Many thanks for all your suggestions

Regards

Mark

" Naw, I had to quit using Baby, she tore them squirrels up too bad!" :ph34r:

:lol::lol:

Mark

Could you post a review of the place when you get back?

Andy

Andy

Be glad to.

I get back on 20th March and will post something the same day.

Regards

Mark

For an overall selection of accomodation in any area of France,search for "Town or Department Hebergement"ie in this case "Bethune Herbergement".In every case a number of web sites covering the whole range of accomodation will be thrown up.

If you fancy the Logis hotel association,go to www.logis-de-france.fr.I found their hotel guide book with sufficient information to book without problems before the advent of the internet.Having said that I have always found it best to book by FAX direct to the hotel rather than use the Paris central reservations centre.

However, some hotels have a direct booking facility via their own website even though they are members of the Logis de France which offers the central reservations facility.

For an overall selection of accomodation in any area of France,search for "Town or Department Hebergement"ie in this case "Bethune Herbergement".In every case a number of web sites covering the whole range of accomodation will be thrown up.

If you fancy the Logis hotel association,go to www.logis-de-france.fr.I found their hotel guide book with sufficient information to book without problems before the advent of the internet.Having said that I have always found it best to book by FAX direct to the hotel rather than use the Paris central reservations centre.

However, some hotels have a direct booking facility via their own website even though they are members of the Logis de France which offers the central reservations facility.

I concur. I have stayed at numerous Logis around the country and almost without exception they have been clean, friendly staff and usually a very good restaurant although some can use modernization. Many are family owned and operated. I always contact the individual establishment (in English) and found that more dependable.

Robert

• 2 months later...

As requested, a review of the Chartreuse du Val St Esprit:

During a recent visit to the Loos battlefields my partner and I spent two nights at the Chartreuse du Val St Esprit near Gosney. The hotel is situated about 3km southwest of Bethune and is well placed for access by car to the battlefield areas.

Accommodation

The hotel has been sympathetically restored and retains the feel of an eighteenth century château. Our room, a double with king size bed, was generously sized having an en-suite bathroom (including a separate shower and bath).

Staff

All the reception staff spoke good English, were efficient, friendly and very helpful.

Food

The hotel has three restaurants. English language menus are available for each.

The Le Robert II is a Gourmet restaurant. We didn’t eat in here and so cannot comment further.

We did eat in the other two restaurants the La Distillerie, a brassiere and the La Vasco, serving a bar menu. The food and service was excellent in both – not cheap but good value and no more than I would expect to pay in equivalent UK restaurants. For those wishing to minimise meals expenditure there is a wide selection of eating places in Bethune only a few minute’s drive away.

Pricing & Recommendation

The room was 122 euro per night with continental breakfast an extra 14 euro per person. There are cheaper places to stay in the area but we would definitely visit again. Based on our experience I would recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing stay in luxurious surroundings.