Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

recruiting

Guest crackapple

Guest crackapple

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. i need some help, i am writing a novel on boy soldiers during the great war but i am stuck on the recruiting aspect of it all. As the story will be based on actual events with credit given to all involved, can anyone help me with stories of what relatives went through to enlist especially underage troops?

Crackapple,

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Historically boys were recruited into the Regular Army as young as twelve, so the under age theme is a bit of a myth. However you weren't allowed to serve overseas until aged 19years and the "official" age of recruitment was 18years, but under certain circumstances younger boys could be enlisted. Send me an e.mail address and I'll send the relevant details from Kings Regulations regarding the recruitment of boys.

Once you've read what it says then you will be able to begin your novel accordingly and best of luck with it.

Regards,

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Guest crackapple

Hi graham and thanks, what i am interested in is boys who volunteered and where underage when sent to the front, who actually said they where 19 and where perhaps 15, any ideas?