Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you tell when a man enlisted by his regt'l number

dunmore44

Is it possible to establish when a soldier enlisted by his Regimental Number.

I have a photograph of my Gt Uncle "Private, Richard Parrish, Royal Fusiliers L/12531" in his red tunic (best uniform) of the Royal Fusiliers. He served with the 4th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers embarking for France in November 1914. He was KIA some 7 months later.

I have been unable to find if he was a regularly soldier before the war and was hoping his number may prove useful to discover if he was an old sweat or if he had enlisted at the start of the war.

If he had enlisted during the war, I do not believe that he would have been issued with a best uniform, just his kharki battle dress.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dunmore,

Ill give you my twopenethworth, I would say yes he was a regular soldier and by his number you should be able to work out when he joined Im not sure what the L/ means though. The 4th was a regular battalion.

Can you post a scan of his picture someone may be able to date the photo.

Regards Charles

Sorry, picture of Richard Parrish 4th Royal Fusiliers

post-9450-1135782928.jpg

Dunmore,

Nice photo, a regular no doubt, and a proud young man to boot. Is the photographers address on the picture could give a clue to date it?.

Regards Charles

Dunmore,

Nice photo, a regular no doubt, and a proud young man to boot. Is the photographers address on the picture could give a clue to date it?.

Regards Charles

I have just checked the orignal picture and they is no photographers details, it appear that the bottom of the picture has been cropped at sometime, maybe to fit a picture frame