Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 6/KOYLI

Max

I have just acquired a history of 6/KOYLI and am more than willing to do look-ups.

Andy

Andy. is this a seperate edition to the KOYLI history on the other thread?

If so, could you see if this one mentions anything for the 6/KOYLI on Sept.20th 1915? (The other book didn't)

Thanks again,

Dave

PS Thanks again for the pages on 2/KOYLI - they answered a lot of questions for me. :D

Hello Dave

It is a seperate history, and a very good one at that. I purchased it from the Regimental museum on Sunday.

I'll certainly look through for you after work today.

Best regs

Andy

Hello Dave

Here is what there is for the 19/20 September, 1915.

“On Sunday 19 there was a heavy bombardment on Y Wood. The distance between the opposing trenches being very small, the gunners may have deliberately overshot their targets in an attempt to destroy the enemys support and front lines by gradually shortening the range. This technique would also have had the advantage of leaving no mans land undisturbed for the infantry in the forthcoming attack. However good the intentions, the result was that shrapnel rained down on the battalions positions. The artillery forward observation officer in trench H20 was killed, and a cut telephone wire frustrated Lt Col Boultons attempts to stop the guns firing. In H18/19 three men from DCLI, and one from the KOYLI, buried by the shelling were dug out by Sgt Holdsworth, Pte Storey and Pte Bottomley. Two of the men died before they could be rescued, but Pte Storey was remarkably lucky when an 18 pounder shell exploded in his trench and only wounded him.

Next day there was more friendly fire as eight rounds from a battery of 18 pounders burst behind H15 causing casualties in H14, the Germans adding to the destruction and chaos by shelling Railway Wood and Witte Port Farm.”

Are you looking for anyone in particular as there is a very extensive casualty listing for 1915 in one of the appendix and I can look them up if you wish.

Andy

Max,

Could you please tell me what the action was, if any for the 6th K.O Y.L.I on the 15th September 1916. a man from my village, one Frank Alban Pentelow, rank of Corporal was killed on that day he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. In civilian life he was a Police Constable in Huddersfield.

My thanks and regards Cliff. Hobson

Hello Cliff

The action of the 15/16 September 1916 was the Battle of Flers-Courcelette. I have about 5 or 6 pages of very detailed info regarding 6/KOYLI involvement. Let me know if you want this and I will take digital images of the text and forward by email.

Andy

Hi Andy.

Thanks for that.

Yes, the person I'm researching was KIA on that day.He is 11186 Joseph Watson Hazlehurst, from Sheffield and is buried in Ypres resevoir Cemetery.

Anything else would be fantastic.

cheers,

Dave.

Dave

11186 Pte Hazlehurst, C Coy 6/KOYLI was killed south of the Menin Road as a result of enemy shelling of support trench F2.

Andy

Dave

11186 Pte Hazlehurst, C Coy 6/KOYLI was killed south of the Menin Road as a result of enemy shelling of support trench F2.

Andy

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the "extra".

Dave.

• 5 years later...

Hi Andy

Just wondered if there was anything about 19 September 1915 and Pte Jesse Hill 11578 6th Bn KOYLI? I also wondered about the name of the book, as I wouldn’t mind buying a copy if it is still in print (I went to the Regimental Museum earlier this year but didn’t see it).

Many thanks.

Jane

• 9 years later...

Hello Andy

I've only just seen this but would also be very interested in any information you can give on 15th September 1916 and the Battle of Flers-Courcelette. My great-uncle 22334 Private William Mooney was killed in the action so I've done a bit of research myself, some of which is online here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-allies-great-britain-france-usa-etc-1914-1918/william-mooney-first-tank-action-16219/.

Thanks

Simon

01 6:KOYLIFrance1915.jpg

06 TheBreweryComposite.jpg

12 SM054717.jpg

15069013.jpeg