Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lusitania Riots

Raster Scanning

Guest mariandidi

I have just joined the Forum. My grandparents were born in Germany but came to Liverpool in about 1880. My grandfater had a chain of greengrocer's shops in Liverpool which were virtually demolished during the Lusitania riots (even though my 3 uncles were serving with British regiments in that War). However, I am trying to trace what happened to my grandmother's brother and his family, who had not become British citizens, although they'd lived in Liverpool for 25 years. I am not sure if they were interred on the Isle of Man, or sent back to Germany. Does anyone know how I can find out?

You need to see if an 'aliens register' exists for the police district in which they lived.

You need to see if an 'aliens register' exists for the police district in which they lived.

• 3 years later...
Guest Michaelbull58

Hi

The Tobacconist's shop in the photo belonged to my husband's grandfather- Adolph Shoenfeld, who was a German Jewish immigrant who arrived in London in about the 1860/70's, He had 5 children- the eldest girl Freida, may have been married at the 1901 census date.They were given shelter by their neighbours after it happened and the family changed their name to Sheffield as a direct result of this incident. It is our belief that Adolph Jr (Dolph) served during the war as my sister in law believes she has seen photos of him in uniform - I would be very pleased if somebody can confirm this for me as I am tracing the family roots at the moment..

Dolph had a daughter Gladys born c1911 and a son John Adolph, (born c1914 died 1972) who had 4 sons and 3 daughters and farmed in E Sussex . Dolph eventually moved to Horam E. Sussex and lived there with his second wife Dorothy until his death.

I would also love a copy of the photo if you can tell me where I can obtain one.

Thanks Claireanne

I started research Adolph Schoenfeld this morning and when I came back to the thread, saw your post.Frieda Augusta Josephine Schoenfeld born about 1881, married Albert Edward Bradshaw in 1903, London. On the 1911 Census they are living at 34, Kelvin Road, Highbury N, London with their three children, Albert, Leslie and Lawrence.On the 1901 census, Frieda is stated as living at 136 Chrisp Street, Poplar as Head (occupation Tobacconist Shop Keeper) with a maid, Florence Milton. Albert Edward Bradshaw her husband had a WWI pension.I also saw that Adolph Schoenfeld Snr. died in 1929. He stated he was a For. sub. and on the Family Trees I found on Ancestry, they state he originated from "Ford End, Germany"I saw also that one or two Schoenfelds had anglicised their name to Schofield.

Adolph was Frieda's brother, Frieda and Albert were my great grandparents, and Albert, their son my grandfather. My mother tells me that all the females in my great grandfather's generation had tobacconists and some of the men too. Adolh took up farming in Sussex and the farm was still in the family when I was a boy. My mother doesnt think that Adolph served in the army.