Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metropolitan Vickers: Register of Ex Apprentices/Trainees

CarylW

Just realised I have something that may be rather useful to some:

A large book: The Register of Ex-Apprentices and Ex Trainees 1902-1957 Metropolitan Vickers

Some of the WW1 planes were built at this factory in Trafford Park Manchester, so the register includes those who were doing this vital war work and also those who fought and returned to work there during and post WW1 & 2

Gives some biographical detail, when born, scholarships, qualifications, details of HM service WW1 & 2, those killed on active service (no roll of honour, just has a "k" next to those killed on active service), home address

The book isn't indexed, names and details arranged alphabetically

*Note added* :I've noticed that there is often much biographical details for those who served in HM services WW1 & 2 and survived but scanty info for those who didn't. In many cases just a name, date of birth, years of service with M-V and no metnion of Regt, service. Probably because those who survived were around to fill in the forms that may have arrived by post at their last known address when these registers were being compiled. Mine is the fourth edition. Earlier editions were:

1902-1934, published 1935, 1902-1937, published 1939 and mine published 1957. My copy does list those who died in the interim periods but I suspect information was carried over from previous editions and there is a form in the back for anyone who wants to update information in the register, some just give 'overseas' as the theatre of war service, others are more specific and in the case of naval servicemen it sometimes lists the ships they served on. Many regiments mentioned, Manchesters, Kings Liverpool. Lancs Fusiliers, East Lancs, Cheshire Rgt, R.A., R.E., and others for all parts of the UK. All services RAF, RN, Army and AIF (couple of Anzacs listed, also other nationalities)

Caryl

Caryl

Potentially of great interest to those of us with an interest in 6/Manchester.

From a much earlier thread, I recall we discovered that quite a number joined from the Westinghouse site. Would appreciate if you could have a brief nosy and see if you there is any obvious link. If it helps, 6/Manc had its greatest batches of early casualties at Gallipoli in June and August 1915.

John

John I'm not sure I've grasped exactly what you mean but I'll give it a go.

I have no knowledge of Metropolitan Vickers, but I noticed that in the book is the following:

Manufacturing was started at the Trafford Park Works in 1902 under the name of British Westinghouse Electrical and Manufacturing Co Ltd.

Metropolitan Vickers Electrical Company Ltd was the new title which resulted in 1919 from the aquisition by Vickers Ltd of the Metropolitan Carriage, Wagon and Finance Co., and with it British Westinghouse Metropolitan Vickers Electrical Export Co. Ltd. was created in 1919

The register does not give the place of work at the time of enlistment but for those whose biographical details are there, it does show all the departments that they worked in

I've noticed that there are often biographical details for those who survived but scanty info for those who didn't. Probably because those who survived were around to fill in the forms that may have arrived by post at their last known address when these registers were being compiled. Mine is the fourth edition. Earlier editions were:

1902-1934, published 1935, 1902-1937, published 1939 and mine published 1957. My copy does list those who died in the interim periods but I suspect information was carried over from previous editions and there is a form in the back for anyone who wants to update information in the register, some just give 'overseas' as the theatre of war service, others are more specific and in the case of naval servicemen it sometimes lists the ships they served on.

I had a brief nosy up to the "D"'s - here are a couple of 6 Mancs and Manchester Regiment soldiers. Might give you some clues as to where they were on enlistment

Baker Cecil Graham M.I.E.E

10-14 b. 1893. Committee member, C and S section. Technical assistant, Electrical Tendering dept. M-V.

Representative Lancashire, Cheshire and Northumberland, Thos Broadbent & Sons Ltd, Huddersfield, Chief correspondant Marine sales dept. - Engineer in charge radar sales - Asst to sales manager, Radi dept. M-V.

Manager London Office, Autodrome (Engineers Ltd), London 1955. Business Manager M-V.D.O.S., Committee Member Manchester Engineering council Honorary Treasurer- President (1955-56) Manchester Radio Industries Club

H.M Service 2/Lt., 1914-18. 1/6 Mancester regt. Overseas

Address: 44 Sandall Road, Ealing London W5

Beamish Frederick Noel Hamilton, M.C. B.E. (Elec) (University of New Zealand) J.P.

12-13 Winding Engine and Rolling Mill Design. Elec. Engineering Dept M-V. Farmer Hawkes Bay, New Zealand 1919

H.M Service Capt. Manchester Regt. and Royal Warwickshire Regt. 1914-19

Address: Awapai, Hastings New Zealand

Dawes Ronald Richard 12-19 b. 1891. Technical Asst. Plant Sales Dept. M-V. Sales Engineer K.L. Distributors (Pty) Ltd, Sydney

H.M Service: 6th Bn Manchester Regt., R.A.S.C. 2/Lt R.E. 1914-19 Signals

Address c/o K L Distributions (Pty) Ltd. 59 Yorks st Sydney, New South Wales Australia

Donnelly, Wilfred Bsc. Tech (Manchester) M.I.E.E. 15-15 b. 1896

Chief DC Engineer, English Electric Co. Ltd. Stafford

HM Service: 2/Lt Manchester Regt. 1916-18 and Royal Engineers (Signals) 1918-19 France

Address: C/o English Electric Co. Ltd. Stafford

I'll post some more as I come across them

If you have any specific names that you would like me to look up, let me know

Caryl

Caryl

Excellent stuff. Any Mancs will be of interest to several pals and, particularly, any 6th Mancs as we've found out there was a large who worked for the Westinghouse part of the compnay.

Ta for looking

John

Couple more Manchester Regiments

Dixey Albert Godfrey Niven M.C. M.A. (Trinity College Oxford)

20-21 b. 1893 Secretary of Group Accounting Committee, Comptrolers Dept. A.E.I. Ltd.Secretary Edison Swan Electric Co. Ltd

Scholarship: Open Schol. for Classics Trinity College Oxford.

H.M Service Capt. 2oth Bn. Manchester Regiment, 1914-18. Overseas

Member Association of Cost and Works Accountants

Address: 116 Woodgrange Avenue London. N 12

Hammick Henry Alexander O.B.E. M.C. M.A. (Pembroke College Cambridge) A.M.I.C.E.., M.I.Mech E. M.Inst. Pet., 12-14 b.1890. Tata Iron and Steel Co Ltd. Mining Dept. M-V Rangoon Corporation. Chief Engineer Iraq Petroleum Co. Ltd. Retired 1949

H.M Service Major 1/6 Bn. Manchester Regt. and R.E. 1914-19. Responsible for Hamel side of P.L.U.T.O

Address: Dlvers, Pyrford Surrey

Hitchmough William Henry A.M.I.Mech. E.

10-20 b. 1896 Draughtsman, Condenser D.O. - Draughtsman Turbine D.O. - Engineer, Mechanical Engineering Dept. - Sales Engineer Mechanical Engineering Dept. M-V. Chief Engineer Socony Vacuum Oil Co Ltd. Middle East Division Cairo. Proprietor W. H. Hitchmough and Son, Knutsford CheshireInspector Motor Winding Dept M-V

H.M. Service Sgt. Army, 1914-18 8th Bn, Manchester Regt. 42nd Div.

Address: Rydal Mount, Northwich road, Knutsford Cheshire

Hunt Richard 11-20 b. 1897 G Stator Winding Dept. - G Armature Dept. Inspector Motor Winding Dept M-V

H.M Service 8th Bn Manchester Regt. , and R.F.C. 1916-19

Address: 94 Langshaw street Old Trafford Manchester

Milton William 14-21 b. 1898 K Switchboard Dept. - WW Switchboard Dept. - Erection Dept- H Traction Dept. - WW Gun shop - WW Switchgear Dept. M-V 1945

H.M Service 23rd Manchester Regt.., 13 Bn. Tank Corps, 1916- 19

Address: 18 Amherst rd, Chorlton-Cum-Hardy Manchester 21

Morris Marcus Assoc. I.E.E. M.I. Plant E. 11-14 Technical Correspondant, Order Section,

Contracts Dept. - Motor Sales Dept. M-V, District (Merseyside) Sales Engineer George Ellison Ltd, Manchester Fellow, Association of Mining, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Member , Manchester Association of Engineers. Member, Liverpool Engineering Society.

H.M Service Sgt. 6th Bn., Manchester Regt. and 2nd Lieut. 38th Bn, Royal Fusiliers, 1913-19 Overseas.

Address: Childer Cottage, Chester road, Childer Thornton, Wirral

Padgett Albert Stanley 11-14 b. 1893 i/c Electrical Dept. Amos & Smith Ltd. Partner W.G Padgett & Sons

Proprietor, A.S. Padgett & Co. 1934 Hr. Nat. Cert.

H.M Service 1914-16, 6th Bn, Manchester Regt. Gallipoli,

1941-45 Lieut. 102 East Yorkshire A.A. Home Guard

Address: 16 Inglemere Lane, Hull, Yorks

Robertson Charles A. M. Inst. F.,

14-22 b. 1896 General Engineering Dept. - Motor Sales Dept. - Control Dept. Sales. - Part-time Sales, Manchester Office M-V, Draughtsman - Mechanical Engineer and Partner J.A. Robertson M.I. Mech. E. M.I.E.E., Consulting Engineer Manchester Managing Director Steam and Electrical Equipment Ltd. Manchester 1937 Member Manchester Association of Engineers

H.M. Service: Lt. 8th Bn. Manchester Regt. 1915-19. Overseas. 1916-19

Address: Silverdale, 17 Brackley Road, Monton, Eccles, Lancs. and 20 Brazenose st. Manchester

Wade Francis Edward 13-16 b. 1899 Generating and Sub Stations Staff.Trafford Power and Light supply Company Ltd. Substations Section. Manchester No 1. Sub-Area North Wstern Electricity Board. B.E.A. 1948

H.M Service: Sapper R.E., and 27th Bn. Manchester Regt. 1917-19. France.

Address: Unknown

Caryl

• 2 months later...

I'll drop these off here now and then in alpahabetical order

Acton John William

T 15-22 b. 1901 Foremand Engineer Cheshire Dairies. Chargehand D Machine Dept. M-V

H.M Service: L.A.C. R.A.F 1918-20

Address: 4 Marton place, Sale Cheshire

Aldcroft William Herbert

T 12 -19 b. 1898 Meter Dept. - Chargehand setter, C Engine Details Dept, M-V.

H.M Service: Pte. King's Liverpool Regiment, Liverpool Scottish , 1918-20

Address 13 Pulford rd, Sale Moor, Cheshire

Aldous Lt-Col. Frederick Clement B.A. (Jesus College Cambridge)

C 02-06 b. 1879 Engineer Motor Dept. - Electrical Engineering Dept. M-V. Estate Agent Monte Carlo and Cannes. Retired

Scholarship: Schol. to Jesus College Cambridge

H.M Service: Lt.-Col., Machine Gun Corps, 1914-18. Overseas.

Address Unknown

Ambrose George Stanley, B.Sc. (Bristol), A.M.I.E.E.,

S 19-19 b. 1900 Contracts Dept., Bruce Peebles & Co Ltd. Edinburgh, Export Dept., BTH Co. Ltd. Rugby

Engineer Calcutta Office - Manager Ipoh Office - Manager Delhi Office, B.T.H. Co (India) Ltd. Technical Sales Representative, British Ropes Ltd. London. Surrey Engineering Co Ltd. Electrical Engineer, Anglo-American Oil Co Ltd. Senior Electrical Engineer Esso Petroleum Co

HM Service: Flt. Cadet R.F.C./R.A.F. 1917-18

Address: Orchard Bungalow Sutton Courtney Berks

Anderson Sydney Drummond, B.Eng (Liverpool)

C 13-14 b. 1899. Sales Representative, Cambridge Instrument Co. Asst., Engineering Dept. B.P & Co

Technical Assistant . N.P.L. Maintenance Engineer, Kirk and Randall. Test Asst. - Junior Technical Officer- Acting Technical Officer 1- Senior Technical Officer - Senior Experimental Officer- Scientific Staff-Library and Information Officer, Electrical Engineering Dept. R.A.E. Farnborough

H.M Service: Capt. R.E. (T), 1914-20. Gallipoli, France, Salinika, Egypt and Palestine

Address: Dysart, Cambridge Road, S. Farnborough, Hants.

Ashmore Joseph, M.I.E.E., A.I.Mech.E.. F.I.E.S., Fellow A.I.E.EwS 12-19 b. 1897. Engineer Surveyor, British Engine Boiler and Electrical Insurance Co. Manchester. Works Manager- District Manager, Birminham and Midlands, British Electrical Repairs Ltd. Past Chairman, Supply and Utilization Group I.E.E. SM Centre.

Past President The Birmingham Elec. Club. Member Association of Mining Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Various Publications in Technical Press.

H.M Service: Sapper, R.E. 1914-18. Signal Section

Address: British Elec. Repairs Ltd., 52 Church rd, Perry Barr, Birmingham 22B

AXON Albert Edwin M.E. (Queensland) A.M.I.E.E., M.I.E. Aust.

oC 23-25 b. 1898 Asst. Engineer - Engineer i/e Electrical and Mechanical Dept. A.E. Harding Frew, Consulting Engineer, Brisbane. Private Practice as Consulting Engineer 1929. First Hon. Secretary, M-V, Australasian Society. Past Member Electricity Commission of Queensland Cement and Lime Co. Ltd.

H.M Service: A.I.F. 1917-18 Col. A.E.M.E. 1942-45

Address: 127 Eagle Street, Brisbane, Queensland Australia

That is all the A's in the book who served in H.M. Service during the Great War

Caryl

Caryl

I think my grandfather might have worked for Metro-Vickers (too young for fist world war) any chance of a look up to see if he is mentioned?

Owen Frank Byrom born 1900

Thanks

Dominic.

Dominic

Only two Byrom listed. Fred Byrom b. 1915 and Keith Bridge Byrom born 1935

If you would like their details let me know

Caryl

• 1 month later...

I have been able to examine a copy of this detailed book. It is an excellent reference work and whilst it contains a great deal of information about Manchester Regiment officers and men it would also be invaluable for research into the REME, RAOC and the technical arms of the Royal Navy and the RAF for both world wars.

Tameside Archives in Ashton-under-Lyne (0161 342 4242, who hold the Manchester Regiment archives, have been able to buy two copies which will shortly be available. Another copy is held in the Trafford Park local history centre in 11th Street (0161 872 9480) where the original MetroVic War Memorial is now housed.

Robert Bonner

Archived