Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great Uncle

timberwood

I have just registred with the "Great War forum" and I am trying to find further information on my Great Uncle who was killed while serving with 12th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment.

14811 Sergeant Arthur Parker was killed in action 1st May 1917, I believe at Haverincourt Wood, he was 22 years old.

Can anyone please give me any further information on the above, any photos and most of all I am trying desperately to trace his medals and Death Plaque.

Any help wouldbe greatly appreciated, contact me timberwood@tesco.net

Thanks so much Geoff

Welcome to the forum Geoff.

From ' Soldiers Died in the Great War' I can add that he was born in Leyland and gave this as his place of residence when he enlisted. He enlisted in Southport. His cause of death is given as 'Killed in Action'.

Hi, Geoff, and welcome aboard.

The History of the 20th Division (12 King's were part of 61st Brigade) doesn't say much. other than that the Division spent three "quiet and very pleasant" weeks in Havrincourt Wood. "After all the discomfort and hardships of fighting through a wet and cold winter, the warm spring weather of May came as an intense relief."

However, "it was a time of hard work; completely new lines of trenched had to be dug." The 61st Bde was on the left of the divisional front, with 11th Division on their left. 60th Bde produced 3,000 yards of trench 5 feet deep and 6feet wide during the period, with the history commenting that 61st Brigade did similar work.

Prior to this, the division had been heavily involved in pursuing the Germans to the Hidenburg Line, and had suffered quite a few casualties. It seems like your great uncle copped it after the heavy fighting had finished.

• 2 years later...
I am still trying to find further information on my Great Uncle who was killed while serving with 12th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment.

14811 Sergeant Arthur Parker was killed in action 1st May 1917, I believe at Haverincourt Wood, he was 22 years old.

Can anyone please give me any further information on the above, any photos and most of all I am trying desperately to trace his medals and Death Plaque.

Any help wouldbe greatly appreciated, contact me sam@body-concepts.net

Thanks so much Geoff