Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carl Hans Theodor Holler history

Rendsburg

Hi Ian, thanks for your kind words!

Hi Egbert, you asked me about the site, yes, I supplied some few information for the site, but this was a beautiful homage that my good friend Thorsten did for my great-granduncle.

Otto

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Finally after more than one year, I received in hands the Carl Holler's Collection. You can imagine the happiness that I am feeling.

New pictures.

Otto

scollection0357xo.jpg

Otto.

I just came on this thread while eating lunch. It is now getting on for three in the afternoon!

Thankyou for sharing such an amazing life's story with us.

And the very best of luck with your future researches. For me, this is what this website is all about.

Oh well, back to work!!

Steve Slater

Holler visiting and playing laute for his wounded friend Otto Bernet.

This photo is the original, prepared and used by Carl Hooler in his book "Als Sänger Flieger Im Welt Krieg".

scollection0578xs.jpg

Otto,

Continuing great pics- thanks. I still cannot get over how he seems a man out of his own time - not WW1 at all, much more modern.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for you words!

I totally agree with you...a man out of his time

'Holler reported that the upper wing of the DI blocked his vision and recommended that the next model’s wing be lowered. The Albatros DII wing was lowered by 40 cm. Holler received a new DII ( of course after all the officers had received theirs) on November 11, 1916, serial number 484/16. '

Photo #7 shows his Albatros DI, with the high wing. The Albatros DII is shown in photo's #3 & #6.

Regards

Bob

Hello Otto

I have just found your interesting story by accident when I was browsing the forums and the word "Sänger" caught my eye. I don't speak German and I was curious as to what this word meant because in my family tree I have hundreds of ancestors with the surname "Sanger"!

After reading your posts, I now realise that it means "singer" - I wonder if my ancestors were originally singers!! The furthest back I have reached on that side in the 1700s and they were in Wiltshire, England - but you never know...perhaps long before that they originated in Germany.

Anyway, aside from that - I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing all those wonderful photos - they are amazing. And yes, I also spotted that Holler seemed a very happy chap and very different from the others. It must be because of his singing because when you have music in your heart you can't help but smile. :)

I'm glad you managed to track down the book you were searching for!

Well done with all your research and thanks for sharing this with us.

Athenalaz

Hi Athenalaz,

Firstly, wellcome to the forum!

The name Sanger among your ancestral ones really means that the man that originated this name, was a singer. It was very common, as well as in Scandinavian countries it was common the person to have as name the fact of to be son of, for instance:

Stevenson = Son of Steven

I am happy that you have liked the story of Sänger Flieger.

Otto :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

The number of photos is growing!

Three photos of Carl Holler with a Fokker Eindecker at KEK Sivry courtesy of Peter Grosz through Greg VanWyngarden and Terry Phillips. Enjoy.

Otto

carlhollere1i52151bo.jpg

The first two pictures are different Fokkers (Wk No 52 & 58) but the last one looks like another type. The engine cowling is different, and (if you scroll sideways) the cockpit coaming is built up much further. Is this just a modified Fokker Eindecker, or a different type altogether?

Adrian

Is this just a modified Fokker Eindecker, or a different type altogether?

Adrian

I think that the first two are Fokker E.Is, and the third looks like a Fokker E.IV, with a double-row 160hp Oberursel UIII rotary and twin guns, as well as a streamlined area around the cockpit. A photograph of Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke airborne in his E.IV is below.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1141182563.jpg

Gareth

The 160 hp Oberursel must have been very advanced for the time. Why did they not put it in later types such as the Dr1? Reliabilty issues? Weight? Overheating? I imagine the torque effect in something as light as the Eindecker must have made the Camel look docile.

I know they tried a three-gun armament on the E.IV; too complex and heavy I expect. Immelmann mentions it in his book but he was hardly going to own up to any problems.

What do you think is the conical object above the left gun in the bottom photo? A rear-view mirror; a rev counter?

Adrian

Adrian

According to Gray and Thetford's German Aircraft of the First World War, the Oberursel UIII 'had not the reliability, or flexibility, of the less powerful rotaries. Due to its weight it made the E.IV far less nimble than the E.II and E.III.' Boelcke reported that the E.IV's rate of climb wasn't satisfactory, and that he had been unable to account for some Nieuports due to the sluggishness of the E.IV.

Apparently, the three gun armament wasn't popular and, after some success with the arrangement, Immelmann reverted to a two-gun machine - before later opting for an E.III again.

I don't know what the conical fitting is; it must have been fairly common, as it appears in several photographs of various E.IVs. Some engine instrument, such as the rev counter you suggest, seems likely. I think that the lower part of the face of the instrument in the fitting can be seen in the top of the E.IV cockpit photograph below.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1141264169.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

A German relative of me (my father's cousin) wrote for me about 2 months ago. He said that he has a surprise for me, and say that I wait the post man.

Few minutes ago I received a little packet, inside (as this cousin inform me) Carl Holler's EKII!!!

I needed to share the good news with you.

Otto :)