Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th HLI

Adam Harland

I have the above from start to finish, together with most of the standard references for the Regiment.

Happy to help for those with an interest in Glasgow's finest!

Adam,

Do any of your references mention the 12th HLI's time in billets in Romsey, Hampshire during March 1915 prior to their departure overseas?

I have a photograph of the 12th HLI in Romsey during this time - let me know if you would like a copy.

Regards

Marc

Adam,

I would be interested in the entries for 29th and 30th September 1918. I have the 17th Royal Scots entries for those dates when my G'Uncle was killed.

Aye

Malcolm

• 2 years later...

Adam,

I have the 4 pages of the battle of Loos covering the action taken by 12 HLI, form the HLI Chronicle. But what I am trying to source is the complete Diary of the Battalion.

If possible could you get in touch.

Yours Aye

Tom McC

*from

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Adam

Can you help with a look up in your 12th HLI diaries for a mention of my grandfather Frederick Bonar 24201 Pte. I know it is not often that soldiers are mentioned by name but often dead and wounded were mentioned.

I do not even know if he was in the 12th.Any paper work I have just says HLI.

I do know he was probably wounded around October or November 1916 as he was listed in my local newspaper of 20 Nov 1916 as wounded, and the only details given were " 24201 Pte Bonar F. wounded.

He enlisted in Glasgow 30 Aug 1915 in HLI and was discharged 23 May 1918 "being no longer fit for war service.

Ever Hopeful

Stewart Barr

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart,

Here is the MIC (Medal Index Card) reference for your grandfather. It costs £3.50 to download from the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=78

As you can see from the reference he was Highland Light Infantry. The MIC usually provides the battalion. Here is my Great grandfathers as an example. To the right of MORELAND it has 12/High LI (12th Highland Light Infantry).

Also if he is 12 HLI, please have a look a my 2 links, people have generously provided me with information sources and leads.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=44920

http://www.lostgeneration1418.com/forums/i...ct=ST&f=1&t=498

I hope this helps

Tom McC

post-10175-1139829845.jpg

Stewart,

Here is the MIC (Medal Index Card) reference for your grandfather. It costs £3.50 to download from the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=78

As you can see from the reference he was Highland Light Infantry. The MIC usually provides the battalion. Here is my Great grandfathers as an example. To the right of MORELAND it has 12/High LI (12th Highland Light Infantry).

Also if he is 12 HLI, please have a look a my 2 links, people have generously provided me with information sources and leads.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=44920

http://www.lostgeneration1418.com/forums/i...ct=ST&f=1&t=498

I hope this helps

Tom McC

Hello Tom

Thanks very much for the speedy reply to the query on my grandfather.

I do have a copy of his MIC but sadly there is no mention of any battalion only "High L I " but

I have been told (rightly or wrongly ) that the actual Medals Rolls do contain additional info that

is not on the MICs. So it looks like I will have to get the info somehow from the NA as the

rolls are not on line.

Many thanks indeed for your much appreciated help.

Stewart

Stewart,

They may have a copy of the muster rolls at the RHF Museum in Sauchiehall Street. It is worth a try. Also, some of the other members of the forum seem to have access to information to do with soldiers in Scottish Regiments, so hopefully something will turn up.

Tom McC

• 2 weeks later...
Stewart,

They may have a copy of the muster rolls at the RHF Museum in Sauchiehall Street. It is worth a try. Also, some of the other members of the forum seem to have access to information to do with soldiers in Scottish Regiments, so hopefully something will turn up.

Tom McC

Hello again Tom,

I did try the RHF Museum in Glasgow but no luck .

They said they did not keep any soldier's records there

but I will give them another try and this time and particularly

ask for Muster Rolls.

Once again many thanks.

Stewart

• 1 month later...
I have the above from start to finish, together with most of the standard references for the Regiment.

Adam , I am looking for info regarding my Great Uncle Alexander Miller,18387 , 12 Btn HLI who died on 01st Jan 1916 aged 18yrs. He is buried at Etaples and his medal card shows the comment "DofW" which I understand means "Died of Wounds". From recent enquiries I have a an idea that he may have had a serious wound which was non-life threatening which may have been why he was sent to Etaples rather than being buried closer to the battleground. He may have deteriorated at Etaples and succombed to his wounds while there.

The 12th HLI were involved at Loos but my understanding is that this action was ended in Oct 1915 ? As Alexander died quite a time after this I am not sure as to whether his wounds were from Loos or later. A gentleman from a forum informed me that Alexander Miller was the only fatality that the battalion suffered between 04/12/15 and 16/01/16 (SDITGW source ?). He felt that because of this statistic that he may have been mentioned in the unit war diary ?

I would appreciate it if you could take the time to see if there is any reference to this in the diary and also if you could inform me as to what the 12th Btn were doing from the Oct 1915 to end Dec 1915 period in case this is relevant to my enquiries.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer with this matter.

George Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Re 12 Highland Light Infantry

Hi Tom

A wee bit slow in replying but have been on hols.

I contacted the RSF in Glasgow but they were unable to help

"owing to a disastrous fire in 1985" but they might be able to

help if I find the Btn. (just what I was trying to get from them !)

I have now been in touch with Nat Arch and am having copies of the

actual Medal Rolls sent. I hope there is a wee bit more info on them

than on the Medal Index Cards.

I'll let you know how I get on

Stewart A B

Stewart,

Thanks a lot. I asked the NA for a copy of the Diary. They wanted £350 - which I thought was a bit hard necked :( .

If they put it on the net as a PDF download (£10-£20... the price of a book) they might get a bit more business, especially for those that live too far from the NA to pay a visit.

Good to see a few more people visiting the forum with an interest in 12 HLI ;) . If anyone has any photos, please PM me as I am interested.

Anyway I hoipe you get a good result.

Aye

Tom McC

hope

Hi There Tom

I have finally got the info I wanted from TNA.

It turns out that my grandfather was actually in the 14th Battalion HLI.

The Medals Rolls do have a wee bit more info than the MCI, but the the list for

those who received the Silver War Badge (discharged due to wounds or sickness)

does have a good bit of info ie.

Regt. No./rank/full name/unit discharged from/no. of badge and certificate/

Date of enlistment/date of discharge/cause of discharge/whether served overseas(yes/no)

The cost for the copies(two pages of A3) of both lists was £10 which at today's prices

I suppose is not too bad.

Now I start again searching for details of the 14th HLI - Such is life!

Stewart B.

Stewart,

That is really good news. Hope the re-visit to Sauchiehall Street (RHF Museum) goes well for you. Last time I was there, it was in need of an effective & efficient female administrator to file the valuable items of historic interest correctly. Because it isn't archived, it makes it particularly difficult to retrieve any information, or pictures of the New Army/Territorial Force for that matter.

Have a look in the HLI Chronicle for the 14th Battalion. There is often good additional information in this publication. I think the museum has a couple of copies.

There was also the mention of the fire when I was there (2004), but the fire was two decades before my visit :D

Please don't forget the Mitchell library in Glasgow ;) . Now you know the battalion, they may have Company/Platoon photos etc. I believe they may have all of the old newspapers.

If you find anything of interest concering 12 HLI (but don't go out of your way), could you please take a note of its reference? This would be much appreciated.

Yours Aye

Tom McC

If you find anything of interest concering 12 HLI (but don't go out of your way), could you please take a note of its reference? This would be much appreciated.

Yours Aye

Tom McC

Tom ,

I have had no luck with the query below. Do you have any information that might be relevent ? Any help would be gratefully received.

I am looking for info regarding my Great Uncle Alexander Miller,18387 , 12 Btn HLI who died on 01st Jan 1916 aged 18yrs. He is buried at Etaples and his medal card shows the comment "DofW" which I understand means "Died of Wounds". From recent enquiries I have a an idea that he may have had a serious wound which was non-life threatening which may have been why he was sent to Etaples rather than being buried closer to the battleground. He may have deteriorated at Etaples and succombed to his wounds while there.

The 12th HLI were involved at Loos but my understanding is that this action was ended in Oct 1915 ? As Alexander died quite a time after this I am not sure as to whether his wounds were from Loos or later. A gentleman from a forum informed me that Alexander Miller was the only fatality that the battalion suffered between 04/12/15 and 16/01/16 (SDITGW source ?). He felt that because of this statistic that he may have been mentioned in the unit war diary ?

I would appreciate it if you could take the time to see if there is any reference to this in the diary and also if you could inform me as to what the 12th Btn were doing from the Oct 1915 to end Dec 1915 period in case this is relevant to my enquiries.

Yours Hopefully,

George Miller

George,

I do not have the whole of 12 HLI's diary so I cannot provide you with all of the events leading up to your great uncle's death; however, Adam Harland does. It is probably worth giving him a personal message (PM). Click on his name and you can leave a message for him.

I do have the 15 Scottish Division history so I will have a look in it to see if their was any key events leading up to Alexander's death.

The below posts give you a few good pointers:

1. The RHF museum has a copy of 12 HLIs War Diary - A lot of the war diaries are poor though (lack of detail or information). Other Ranks (ORs) very rarely get a mention if they are killed. Sometimes in the additional reports there is a chance of a 'write-up' of some complex action or laudatory event.

2. The RHF museum has copies of the HLI Chronicle - this is a useful journal which provides details about all of the battalions of the HLI, written by those in the battalion. It has more of a personal slant to it as opposed to the diary.

3. The Mitchell Library may have an obituary in a local Glasgow paper (try mid to late October), and if you find one for Cpl William Moreland, give me a shout I'll get you some drinks :)

4. There is a slim possibility that someone on the forum may have letters/documents/photos of your great uncle...it has happened before ;)

Anyway, hope something tuns up for you George. I will post again if I find anything

Aye

Tom McC

Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will try Adam again , as suggested. It would appear that a trip to Glasgow may be in order - I'm up in Inverness so it may be later in the Summer before I could fit it in.

I was planning to visit the Mitchell Library as part of my family investigations so a trawl through the Roll Of Honour pages may be possible - hopefully with the aid of some direction from someone who knows which papers to look in !

If I do get down I will keep Cpl Moreland's name in my file - you never know ?

Cheers

George

George,

I think you may have to book ahead to get into the library. It is probably worth checking the RHF website for times and phone numbers.

Also, just to save time it may be worth asking them them to dig out 12 HLI's Diary, and the HLI Chronicle covering 1915 to 1916. They will readily carry out photocopying for you (I think up to A3 - which is good ;) ).

George I really hope you find something, also, if I find anything I will post it; so please keep checking.

Yours Aye

Tom McC

• 2 months later...

Adam,

Could you tell me what happend and what location they where the 31/07/1917 and if the dead of captain fredercik thomas is mentioned.

Thank you in advance

sabine

• 5 months later...

Hello Adam

Any chance of finding a reference for:

17745 Pvt. Sydney Griffiths

12th Batt. HLI

Went to France July 1915.

Thanks for a kind offer.

Dave

Adam,

Is there any chance of an electronic copy of the 12HLI war diary for 25/09/1915? I'm researching Lieutenant Kenneth Gordon Campbell, who was killed in action that day.

Our school records suggest that he was Adjutant from January of that year; is there anything in the diary to support this?

My work e-mail is sh@wincoll.ac.uk

Many thanks,

Shaun