Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joining the Army from the Militia

matthew_family_research

This is a query about someone who joined the RA from the Wicklow Militia.

On his Attestation Papers it says that he was NOT a present member of the Militia, or the Militia Reserve, but it also says that he has served 7 2/12 years service in the Wicklow Militia.

Does this mean that he would have once been a member but then joined the Army proper after a break???

Also, could someone please let me know how common it was for people in the RA to become RHA? Is it interchangeable or the like? I can't seem to establish once and for all which one he was (joined the RHA, reenlisted for RA, regimental number stayed the same .... - confusing!).

Thank you.

Your scenario of enlisting in the regular army at a later date after service ibn the militia is very feasible.

It is also possible that he was already a trained artillery man as the Wicklow Militia you refer to could have been the The Wicklow RGA Militia a regiment that existed in its own right until 1908 when it did not survive the reorganistation of that year.

Your second query may be answered by this site:

http://www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/arty/RHA.htm

Dave

The site you menion is quite sporadic - the information there is, I find, hit and miss.

Does anyone else know how it is that someone could seem to go RHA and then to RA? He was in B Bgde L battery, but left RA 7th Div A.C.

Furthermore, what does A.C. stand for?!