Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research hospital Cambridge

Jerrymurland

I'm looking for anything on the Research Hospital in Cambridge that was for officers, apparently a part of No. 1 Eastern General Hospital. Lt. Baynard Martin of the Machine Gun Corps is my interest in the place. Can't track him down after 1917.

Jerry

Jerry

The Research Hospital was in Hartington Grove, Cambridge, and was opened in 1905 as a centre for research into rheumatoid arthritis. During WW1 part of it was used for an officer's hospital. The hospital records database says that it was specifically for Belgian officers, but you've proved that incorrect :)

It was closed to patients in 1923, although the 'laboratory' research continued there, and it's name was changed to 'Strangeways Research Hospital' - if you Google for that, a lot comes up. The Hospitals Database also states that all surviving records are at the Wellcome Library [Euston Road, NW1], though it appears these only cover the period 1910-1913.

I found this photo by Googling:

Sue

Thanks Sue, the address I have for the research hospital is Hills Road, Gt. Shelford, Cambridge. Lt. Martin gives the hospital as his address on his marriage certificate dated April 20th 1917. Is this the same place, I don't know Cambridge very well.

Jerry

Jerry

I've just re-read everything, and the hospital was originally in Hartington Road, and moved in 1912, so your address is the right one. Addenbrooke's address is currently Hills Road, Cambridge, but I don't know Cambridge at all, so maybe the WW1 buildings have been swallowed up by later development of Addenbrookes. I think that photo must be the original place in Hartington Road - or maybe not :blink:

Get Googling!!

Sue

The Building shown in the photo is the Strangeways Research hospital, on the junction of Hills Road, & Wort's Causeway, Cambridge. It is still there now. (Or at least it was last Friday when I drove past)!

Hartington Grove is all residential, & there are no buildings of any size there now.

Strangeways is on the opposite side of the road to the New addenbrookes hospital site....which dates from the 60's. At the time of WW1, it would have stood more or less on its own, on the very outskirts of the town.

The address at the time was Hills Rd, Gt Shelford. ( Gt Shelford is a small village about 2 miles further on down Hills Rd).

Best of Luck! Chris P.