Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Cadtets' 1-day trips to the Western Front

kerry

Dear All,

I have been asked to plan and draft a visit schedule for Yorkshire Army Cadets (whose sponsor units include the Green Howards, PWO (amalgam of East and West Riding Regts, and the East and West Yorks Regts) the Duke of Wellingtons Regt and the RA).

They will be attending annual camp at CPTA Folkestone and the idea is to get them across on a one-day basis to the nearest bit of the Western Front relevant to their cap badges, to visit places not too far in travelling time from Ostende. Ideal would be to visit locations where battles took place in August on the day of their visit. There will be at least 3 visits as we can't take all of them at the same time.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might make suitably interesting venues, given the fairly short attention span of young teenagers (albeit well-behaved ones)?

All suggstions gratefully received. Many thanks.

Kerry

Kerry,

Depending on the time you have I should say obviously Ieper is the place to go. August is ideal to visit places in connection with 3rd Ypres. I am sure if you give a more detailed time schedule it is possible to have a good trip around Ieper.

On another matter and again depending on your possibilities and timetable. At the Last Post Ceremony under the Menin Gate we do welcome very regularly Army Cadets. If you think it is possible to be present with the different groups you would be mostly welcome and considered as a guest of honour. Please advice me on the matter.

Jacky

Kerry,

Must say I agree wholeheartedly with Jacky's suggestion. If you allow him to involve the lads in the Last Post Ceremony, they will have a trip to remember.

Obviously all the units you mention will have had actions in Summer 1917 and there will , no doubt, be V.C graves and other points of interest to keep them interested.

Suggest you also ask Charlotte if she could provide refreshments at Varlet Farm and a tour of her museum. As a "lad" myself , I think you will cater for all their needs - cake and cannons ! who needs more ?

If you know the exact date of the visit it will be quite possible from e.g. Chris McCarthy 'Passchendaele: The Day By Day Account' to visit sites connected with the regiment(s) on or near the exact date. Obviously it does involve some research but I find it is well worth it. Such visits are a key feature of my own school battlefields tours. I get the boys involved with reading of eye-witness accounts, wreath-laying on former pupils' graves and also pre-tour research on the CWGC website etc rather than having me solely doing a 'walk and talk' on the site. My own view is that this sort of thing has far more impact and lasting value than simply doing the well-known 'tourist circuit' around Ieper, which is an admittedly easier alternative.

Can I echo what Jacky and others have said about participation at Menin Gate, although the timings of a day trip from Folkestone may not allow it.

Please fell free to e-mail me about this topic

Mark Hone

(Head of History and Politics at Bury Grammar School Lancs, and officer in the school CCF)