Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Messines Ridge Craters

gmartin

Has anyone ever come across any photos of the Ontario farm "crater"? I'm aware that a crater like the other Messines Ridge craters was never formed, but since many immediate post-battle photos of all the other craters exist, I'm surprised I haven't ever been able to find (I've even researched at the Dept of Photos at the Imperial War Museum a few years ago) anything about Ontario Farm.

I've noticed that Ian McHendry has taken some aerial shots of a number of the craters, and wondered if he had photo'd Ontario Farm area from the air to see if the shape can be discerned?

Any help or guidance gratefully received!

Geoff Martin

Geoff,

Welcome to the forum. I have many aeriel photos of the Messines Mine craters. I only ever took one photo of the area of Ontario farm. Believe it or not I lent the photo to a member of the forum who has long since dissapeared :angry: My fault I guess for using the original. After the Xmas break when I get back to Ypres I will search through my negative files as the photo will be there.

As for visiting the site from the ground, all that remains is a forlorn looking shallow pond, mind you this mine didnt go like the others.

As I have a head like a sieve at the moment, please feel free to PM me in about 10 days to remind me to look for the negative.

Best regards

Iain

Geoff,

Welcome to the forum. I have many aeriel photos of the Messines Mine craters. I only ever took one photo of the area of Ontario farm. Believe it or not I lent the photo to a member of the forum who has long since dissapeared :angry: My fault I guess for using the original. After the Xmas break when I get back to Ypres I will search through my negative files as the photo will be there.

As for visiting the site from the ground, all that remains is a forlorn looking shallow pond, mind you this mine didnt go like the others.

As I have a head like a sieve at the moment, please feel free to PM me in about 10 days to remind me to look for the negative.

Best regards

Iain

Many thanks for this information Ian. When i was last there (as long ago as early 90's I'm afraid), I had a rather suspicious Belgian farmer trying to find out why I was standing in the middle of the lane by his farm videoing empty fields!! Mind you, i don't remember seeing any evidence of a pond/crater or anything whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure i was in the right place as I had a trench map to work from. Have a good Xmas

Regards

Geoff