The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteries and Memorials

tonycad

Ellis Humphrey Evans was a farmer's son from a place near Trawsfynydd in North Wales, who was conscripted into the 15th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1917.

His battalion was involved in the July 1917 attack on Pilkem Ridge, with the objective of taking Langemark. Pilkem was soon taken, but it was some time before Langemark was taken.

On 31st July Private Ellis was killed by a bullet in the chest.

He is buried in Artillery Wood Cemeter, not far from Boezinge.

At the National Eistedfodd held in Birkenhead, on 6th September 1917, he won the annual premier Welsh literary award of the Chair for Literature under his Bardic name of Hedd Wyn. When the award was announced the chair was draped in black.

This plaque on the wall of a house at a cross roads in Pilkem, was placed by the Trawsfynydd Community Council, Merionydd District Council and Gwynedd County Council on 31st July 1992.

Tony

post-4728-1135204046.jpg

Merched y Wawr an organisation for women in Wales who wish to join a welsh speaking organisation, placed this grand memorial to Hedd Wyn in the Bay at the altar end of St George's Church in Ypres, in April 1977.

Tony

post-4728-1135204436.jpg

Have you seen the film, Hedd Wyn, Tony? I found it effective and moving.

(It's subtitled in English.)

Gwyn

Dragon,

Yes, I did see the film, and I share your thoghts on it.

I was also struck by the conscription of this young man from a very rural, and secluded community, who I would have thought to have been totally unsuited for soldiering. But then, did not this apply to most young men of WW1.

Tony