Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info Mervyn Johns RFC / RAF

Brian37

Does anyone have any information on the service career of Mervyn Johns in WW1. He was in the RFC and I believe also in the RAF when it took over the role of the RFC. I understand he was a pilot.

He later became a famous actor and his daughter was the acress Glynis Johns.

Brian

post-9594-1135117042.jpg

The RFC Communiques 1917-1918 by Bowyer has a R. Johns listed.

Jan 29, 1918 - "Flight Sub-Lt R. Johns shot one EA down completely out of control, and two others were driven down" I believe from the text prior to this line he was with 8 Squadron RNAS.

Might not be your man but I thought it was worth a mention.

The RFC Communiques 1917-1918 by Bowyer has a R. Johns listed.

Jan 29, 1918 - "Flight Sub-Lt R. Johns shot one EA down completely out of control, and two others were driven down" I believe from the text prior to this line he was with 8 Squadron RNAS.

Might not be your man but I thought it was worth a mention.

Hi Mustang,

R. Johns in your post is not my man. Just found out that Mervyn Johns initials were D. M. Johns

Thanks for your eforts.

Brian

Mervyn Johns was originally christened David Mervin John and was born in 1899 in South Wales.

I can find no records of his service in the RFC but I know he was a pilot in WW1. This must have been in the very late stages of the war as he would have been too young when the war first started ( 15 years of age ). I do not know if he was ever posted to France.

The only London Gazette records are for 1941 when he was in the RAF, but by 1942 he was making movies with a definite war slant e.g. How went the Day. He must have resigned his commission by this time.

Any more info on his military career would be a bonus.

Brian

• 7 years later...

Another of those old threads to try to re-ignite.

Johns joined the Auxiliary Police in Ireland 1920/1921. His RAF record is now available online, and I have it

I wondered why his travel information showed him as an actor, now I know

Can anyone add anything on David Mervyn Johns

There is an Officers file at the TNA WO 339/110671 JOHNS D

these are not available on line and you would need to make a visit to view it.

Cheers

John-g

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Mervin Johns is credited in the 1942 propaganda film 'Next of Kin' as as Ft. Lt. Mervyn Johns RAFVR. In it he played the character of Mr Davis an under cover German spy. A very good film for the genre.

The brief history I have is - David Mervyn Johns, born on 18 February 1899; appointed a Temporary 2nd-Lieutenant on probation 21 June 1917; to No 16 Squadron, 13 January 1918 and to No 21 Squadron on 1 May 1918.  To the Unemployed List, as a Lieutenant, on  11 May 1919.

Graeme

• 4 months later...

I know it's a bit late but see Cavalry of the Skies (made 1986?) on Youtube. WW1 pilots reminisce, including Mervyn Johns.

JD