Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Dorsets 1914

dunmore44

Hi

Is it possible to get some info for various dates from the diary? I have been doing my Family Tree and have 4 souls killed from 1 Bn - 1916/17, 3 killed with 2 Bn and 1 killed with 5 Bn. Many others who served with the Dorsets and survived (mostly regular Bns).

I have some of their Military Records and all Medal Cards, but would love some info on how these poor blokes met their demise.

Any info from diaries would be gratefully received.

Regards

Stewart Pearce

Morning

can I add another date to Stewart's list please.

I have a man on the Walsall RoH who Died of Wounds on Tuesday 20 August 1918.

Would it be possible to post the WD for around this time, please,

Many thanks,

Graeme

• 1 year later...

This is fascinating - I am trying to follow the movements of 2nd Lt G S Shannon who was a former teacher here at Winchester House School. He was part of A Company, 1st Dorsets and was killed at Hill 60 on the 5th May 1915. If you have any further transcriptions of the war diaries for the months leading up to May 1915 I would be very grateful

There is an excellent description of the Hill 60 battle May 1915 in the book "Salient points three" by Tony Spagnoly & Ted Smith"

Colin.

• 2 years later...
Guest CURIOSITY

Hi, I came across this thread while researching a soldier in the 1st Battalion Dorsets. He was killed on the 14th March 1915. I don't know if this thread is still active but I'd like to ask Steve if he can posts any information he can find on a conflict during that day. Thank you kindly.

Curiosity 

Welcome to the forum 

The information that I have comes from the History of the Dorset Regiment 1914-1919

At this time the Dorsets were garrisoning International trench near The Bluff.

" The most important event in this period occurred about sunset on the 14th March. A relief of the Dorset by the Bedfords had just commenced when a big explosion occurred  south of the canal on the front of the 27th Division. Nothing unusual took place north of the canal and the relief proceeded. But as soon the the Battalion reached Bedford House D Company with two machine guns under 2nd Lt Stanley-Clarke was dispatched to hold the canal bridge close to the Lankhof Chateau .

Early on the 15th A Company was ordered forward to support D, for a long while the situation remained obscure but counter attacks by the 27th Division practically restored the situation and A & D Companies were withdrawn at about 05:30 hours" 

There are no  mention of casualties within this part of the history.

Hope this helps

Malcolm 

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bump an incredibly old thread but I'm new to the forum and Lance Corporal Water George Herridge 7557 of the Dorset Regiment was my 2x great uncle and it was really interesting to read the accounts here of what happened to them in France. Thanks for posting this information, I visited the area last year and saw the memorial in La Ferté-Sous-Jouarre where many of these brave men are remembered.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. As you have observed, this is a very old thread and the originator hasn’t visited the forum for over 5 years. If you are keen to find out more about your great great Uncle, I’d suggest that you start a new thread on soldiers. 

31 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. As you have observed, this is a very old thread and the originator hasn’t visited the forum for over 5 years. If you are keen to find out more about your great great Uncle, I’d suggest that you start a new thread on soldiers. 

Thanks Michelle, will do. Was great to see this though, if slightly sad reading about how events unfolded. 

• Admin

There’s an unknown Dorset in Locquignol communal cemetery in the Mormal forest. I’ve often wondered who he is.  I shall be visiting La Ferte at Easter so will say hello for you. 

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

There’s an unknown Dorset in Locquignol communal cemetery in the Mormal forest. I’ve often wondered who he is.  I shall be visiting La Ferte at Easter so will say hello for you. 

Thank you.  The memorial at La Ferte should be looking pretty good as it was being refurbished last year. 

• Admin

Link to war diaries should you want to read the original copy. Free to access, after registration, also free, 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352277