Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Selling on Ebay – no longer worth my time or effort.

Duncan

Reference the postmark shown in post 37 above, I've just won on eBay this example:

image.png.cfedd563f7f4b3bd64af4cdb5ac91f92.png

It cost me all of £4.87, including postage. Pity that someone had to crop it so closely. On an entire cover it would have been worth much, much more. Some might twitch at the superimposed Salisbury postmark, but in this case for meit's almost a bonus.

In contrast, for some time now an optimist has been asking £20 for part of a Lark Hill Camp postmark on a stamp on its own - removed completely from the card or envelope. Good copies of the complete postmark on postcards are usually available on eBay  or at fairs for £8 or so.

Moonraker

I've always found EBay to be a place to avoid, so sympathise with (most) people who earn a living from it.

By choice I earn my living elsewhere but find myself giving away / disposing of items rather than selling them on EBay over more recent years as it seems to brings the worst out in people.

Very recently, I made someone aware of a family item of great personal value to them which had appeared for sale for £20 odd starting bid. 2 days after making them aware, it was withdrawn and relisted for £300. Granted, may be a sheer coincidence as I have not asked if the events are linked but as I get older, I tend to find coincidences rarely exist when money is involved

I think Antiques Road Show is in Salisbury 14/5/2019

Take some of your cards?

Edited by johnboy

I'm not a seller , but as a buyer and I love e-bay . Without them I would not have half the books in my collection and be a lot poorer having had to pay

the dealer prices for rare books that , thanks to them , I've picked up for peanuts.

Quite agree with the above, it is certainly a buyers market. Although saying that I have been priced out of many PCs and CDVs on eBay of late , It used to be a cheap hobby! 

I rarely sell anything anymore as after the  PayPal deduction and eBay fees it really is not worth the effort.