Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th service battalion west yorkshire regiment

Guest patrick bell

Guest patrick bell

i am researching my fathers service record, bell j r 21303 11th service battalion west yorkshire regiment.69 brigade 23rd division.and on the west yorkshire regimental museum website it states in the book section there is a book called history of the prince of wales own west yorksire regiment 11th (service)battalion.i have tried a lot of military bookshops on the internet but to no avail, and i wonder if anybody knows where i can find a copy i will be most greatful for any help yours p bell.

• 2 months later...

I am also interested in "A Short Diary of the 11th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment 1914-1918 "

published by Goddard, Walker and Brown. If any forum members could lead me on the right path to finding / obtaining a copy I would be most grateful.

I am researching a friends Grandfather who went through WW1 with this battalion.

Tom

Tom and P Bell have you tried ordering these books from your local Library?

I have myself ordered various old books and there have been able to source them.

Regards Kevin

Tom if you have any questions on the 11th Battalion while you await a copy of the relevant book, i do have acopy of Wyralls The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918, just ask.

Many thanks for your kind offer Kevin, I have to go to our local library in the near future so I will see if they are able to supply a copy.

If I draw a blank there I''ll contact you pm to see if you can help me with a particular enquiry.

Regards Tom

Tom

Sorry about this i should of put Patrick in my reply and not Tom, as itis the West Yorkshire history i have and not the East Yorkshire history.

Sorry again Tom Regards Kevin

OK Kevin ...........no problem, many thanks for the original offer though.

As well as going to the library I think I've found another trail which might lead to the unit history I require.

Best regards, Tom

• 11 months later...

if you have any questions on the 11th Battalion while you await a copy of the relevant book, i do have acopy of Wyralls The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-1918, just ask.

Good Morning, you made the above post yonks ago, I just hope you are still engaged. If your book covers the 12th Bn, I would be very grateful if you could provide any information related to the following.

My Brother texted me from Etaples Cemetery this afternoon, where he has found a family member: 46523 Pte George Sutch, 12th Bn West Yorks Regt, died 27/03/1917.

So far I have managed to establish that he was born in Woolwich,, the son of John and Mary Sutch of Plumstead. He joined up in Chichester and is commemorated on the Eastergate War Memorial near Barham, Sussex. Information about the War memorial on the Internet states that George died in the Base Hospital in Etaples.

His MIC card is pretty useless, merely shows he was entitled to BWM and Victory and states simply "Died". No info on entry into theatre at all.

What I would be very grateful for is any information concerning likely action(s) that George would have been in and wounded. Information is quite scarce before the push in April 1917, some information for March about actions in Ancre, Bapaume, Arras area but I can not get to any units that may have been involved. Actions earlier, details of any drafts that arrived would also be great. Thanks in advance.

it is a small card covered book,the first 20 pages give a brief history of the battalions activities, the remainder of the book cosists of names and addresses, honours and awards etc [ i found my copy on e-bay]

patrick , j r bell is listed as living at 40, lydell street, scarborough

regards john

Lambrette

CWGC has George as the 12th Battalion West Yorkshire, when in fact he was a 10th Battalion lad.

He was Formerly 172659 Royal Field Artillery. But did not serve overseas with the R.F.A so it does not show on his MIC at the NA.

The died i think means he died of natural causes.

Have sent you a PM.

Regards Kevin

Hello Lambretta,

Sorry, I've only just seen this. I'll get back in touch regarding likely actions, but it is as Kevin said, and probable that George died of illness or natural causes. Given his number, and the fact that he had previously trained with the RFA, I don't think George would have been very long with the 10th West Yorks.

Sutch, George Pte. No. 46523 [Died] 27-3-1917 Age: 19 Born: Woolwich-London. Enlisted: Chichester. Cemetery-Memorial: Etaples Military Cemetery. XXIII. C. 2A. [son of John and Mary Sutch, Plumstead] Formerly No. 172659, Royal Field Artillery [RFA] [Listed as 12th Bttn. West Yorkshire Regiment-CWGC]

Cheers,

Dave

Fatalities and deaths March 1917 [4 Men and 2 Officers]

Allen, Percival Knight Capt. [Temp] [K.I.A.] 23-4-1917 Age: Unknown. Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery-Wancourt. V. E. 3.

Andrews, Charles William 2nd Lt. [Temp] [K.I.A.] 13-4-1917 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: Arras Memorial Bay 4. [son of George Harry and Ada Andrews, of Sandgarth, Mansfield]

Baybutt, Fred Pte. No. 37355 [Died of Wounds] 31-3-1917 Age: Unknown Born: Knaresborough, Yorks. Enlisted: York. Cemetery-Memorial: St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen. O. VIII. G. 9.

Ramshaw, Frank Pte. No. 14016 [Died] 21-3-1917 Age: Born: Murton-Sunderland. Enlisted: West Hartlepool. Cemetery-Memorial: [NOT FOUND ON CWGC]

Sutch, George Pte. No. 46523 [Died] 27-3-1917 Age: 19 Born: Woolwich-London. Enlisted: Chichester. Cemetery-Memorial: Etaples Military Cemetery. XXIII. C. 2A. [son of John and Mary Sutch, Plumstead] Formerly No. 172659, Royal Field Artillery [RFA] [Listed as 12th Bttn. West Yorkshire Regiment-CWGC]

Watson, George Clifford Pte. No. 43331 [K.I.A.] 9-3-1917 Age: Unknown Born: Rotherham-Yorks. Enlisted: Sheffield [Residence: Tinsley-Sheffield] Cemetery-Memorial: Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 2A 2C and 2D. Formerly No. 3/3819, York and Lancs Regiment.

Whats the URL for the West Yorks Regimental museum?

I think I've been getting my googles in a twist!

Nigel