Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Giessen P O W Camp

huntscycles

My Grandfather, Horace Jaikens, was a POW in the camp at Giessen. He was injured by machine gun fire when going over the top with the 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment in August 1916 and ended up being put in a hospital there.

He was here for some months before being sent to help build a railway track along the Rhine.

Does anyone have any information on this camp or know where I can get a photo of this camp then and now?

Thanks.

Martyn Smith

I can't provide any info on the camp but thought you might might be interested to know that the BBC Schools Dept. have three snippets from the 'memoirs' of a Private James Brady who survived the war as a POW at Giessen, on their web site. (www.bbc.co.uk/schools/worldwarone).

I believe that US Army had a stores depot near Giessen after WW2 this could be the same site?

Also 'Camp Freedom' a US style holiday camp is near Giessen could be the same site?

Martyn

I have been informed that Phillip Chinnery the Hon.Historian of the National Ex-Prisoner of War Association may have photos of Giessen Camp in WW1.

I can not confirm this but he may be worth contacting.

His address is 10 Lambert Avenue, Langley, Berkshire, SL3 7EB

or e-mail - case sensitive - PHIL@chinnery49.fsnet.co.uk.

• 10 years later...

My Grandfather Henry Woodward died in the Giessen Hospital there of Wounds

i have the letter from the commandant of Giessen originally sent to my Grandmother

Sorry, it would seem that this is too late for Martyn, but anyway, here's a belated photo.

post-85749-0-40562800-1359766061_thumb.j