Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Decorated Australian soldier dies

Andrew P

Frank McDonald MM, the oldest Australian veteran aged 107 has just passed away in Tasmania. McDonald was an original in the 40th Battalion and had the service number of 53. He was in good health until recently when he had a fall and fractured his hip.

The 40th Battalion was a unit of the 3rd Division which came to France in December 1916.

McDonald saw service through the main battles the 3rd Division fought in such as Messines, Third Ypres and the 1918 battles.

Throughout his service McDonald had the fortune never to be wounded and by the end of the war he held the rank of Corporal.

He also served his country in WW2.

His death leaves only 6 Australian WW1 men remaining.

I hear the voice,

I hear the war,

I hear the sound on the distant shore,

I feel the Spirit of yesterday,

I touch the past and the Pipers play.

The pipes kept playing for you and me,

They kept on saying we'll soon be free,

And your soul will never fade away,

You'll live forever when the Pipers play.

Rest in Peace Mr McDonald MM

Guest stevebec

Andrew,

I like the write ups for this brave man and you have followed the same line by saying that he was not wounded during the war.

I surpose its what we percive as wounded, as this man was gassed three times. Why, its not as bad as a GSW but to be gassed would it qualify as wounded.

I wonder and think it does.

Lest we forget

S.B

Often the worst wounds are the ones that don't show!

We all owe people like him a debt we can never repay.

Rest in peace.

Arm.

Andrew,

I like the write ups for this brave man and you have followed the same line by saying that he was not wounded during the war.

I surpose its what we percive as wounded, as this man was gassed three times. Why, its not as bad as a GSW but to be gassed would it qualify as wounded.

I wonder and think it does.

Lest we forget

S.B

Hi Steve

I am surprised to hear that he was gassed three times as Veterans Affairs make no mention of it in his bio and his service record shows he was only away from his unit for short periods. Though for some reason in his service record the remarks for August 1918 have been blocked out. Very Curious as to why this has occured.

Also heard that he was reccommended for a Bar to the MM for his actions in August 1918.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest stevebec

Your right mate,

I read this in a number of stories in the Qld newspapers "that he had not been wounded" but also mentioned in the stories were that he had been gassed on three occsions.

It was again mentioned radio on John Laws.

This Radio program had a interview with the man taken in the early 1990's in which he mentions his love of the war. He throught it was a great time.

S.B

Rest in peace.