Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/8523 C.S.M J Lawman Royal Fusiliers

D Lawman

Hello

MY name is Dan Lawman, I am looking for any info on my Great Grandfather, C.S.M Jasper Lawman. I do not know a great deal about him ohter that he was in the Royal Fusiliers, and was the recipient of the Military Cross in 1918. Can anyone help me gather more info on my Great Grand Dad.

Regards

D E Lawman

Here is the link to his Medal Index Card, in case you haven't yet downloaded it.

Medal card of Lawman, Jasper

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Fusiliers 8523 Serjeant

Royal Fusiliers 6448521 Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

His MC was announced in the London Gazette of 18-2-1918

No. L/8523 C.S.M. Jasper Lawman, R. Fus.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The Citation appeared later in the Gazette of 18-7-1918

L/8523 C.S.M. Jasper Lawman, R. Fus.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. For six days his company held an important section of the battle front, on which the enemy made constant bombing attacks. During the whole of this period he was always at the threatened spot, encouraging all ranks by his fearless example, and by his personal efforts with bombs and rifle doing much to defeat every hostile attack.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Thank you both for the info that you have provided, My Grand Dad told me that Great Grand Dad was in the Indian Army prior to WW 1. There is a family picture I know exists of him with my Great Grand Mother taken during the War. Unfortunatly his Military Cross dissapeared sometime after his death, its a shame because my son is the last of our family line. and I really want to keep the history of our family alive, we now live in Canada and my Father and I our the only real conection to the UK, if anyone could provide more info I would be much apreciated.

Regards

D E Lawman

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you both for the info that you have provided, My Grand Dad told me that Great Grand Dad was in the Indian Army prior to WW 1. There is a family picture I know exists of him with my Great Grand Mother taken during the War. Unfortunatly his Military Cross dissapeared sometime after his death, its a shame because my son is the last of our family line. and I really want to keep the history of our family alive, we now live in Canada and my Father and I our the only real conection to the UK, if anyone could provide more info I would be much apreciated.

Regards

D E Lawman

Hi Dan,

My great grandad served in 4th Bn Royal Fusiliers during WW1 and if you want any regimental history or a capbadge etc etc I can look around and post it to you over there, no probs. I am looking at my gt grandads bn in particular but will keep eyes open if you wish.

happy new year!!

Graeme

• 2 years later...

I have been researching the military history of my grandfather for several years now CSM J Lawman 8523 Royal Fusiliers and would be pleased to here from Graeme Heavey as to whether he found out any further information and in particular from Dan Lawman British Columbia who must be a cousin? Can email me direct at chrisdt@mail.com. Many thanks, christarrant...

• 11 years later...

Hello,

Jasper was my Great Grandad. In 1939 he is recorded as being a member of the Custodians of the Houses of Parliament. I believe this is him on the left looking at the camera.

He looks just like my Grandad.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/houses-of-parliament-adopts-own-police-force-the-regular-news-photo/1053485802

Also i believe that in this pathe video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHYpnDmZXEA

I have Jaspers swagger stick (not sure this is the correct terminology)

Hope some one will get this info.

He is also metioned here :-

https://www.fusiliermuseumlondon.org/download?id=12898

swagger1.jpg

swagger3.jpg

Hi,

Unfortunately, I didn't see any surviving service papers on Ancestry/FMP for Jasper. However, the seven digit (6448521) number dates from post WW1 so there might be something still held by the MoD. His medal roll records (Ancestry here, and here) indicate that in WW1 he first arrived in active theatre with the 4th Battalion on 21st August 1914, but had subsequent service with the 24th Battalion. The 4th Battalion war diary is here at the National Archives, and will also be available on Ancestry - search page. To add more context, it might be worth looking at the 9 Infantry Brigade Headquarters diary (National Archives search page; it will also be on Ancestry).

Findmypast have a fragment of a list (link) which indicates that he was evacuated to the UK with a wound to his hand on 23rd September 1914. 

He appears to have been awarded his MC for his actions at/near Cambrai around 30th November 1917, whilst serving with the 24th Battalion.

image.png.85d83f0a7a7696592b37bf33db9d2961.png

image.png.98c5469b884ef78b1655e614f592a1b8.png

Images sourced from the National Archives

The 24 Bn/5 Bde HQ war diaries can be found at the National Archives and on Ancestry using the previous search page links.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2019 at 22:19, clk said:

Many thanks for this information. It has helped answer a couple of questions.

Best Regards

Stuart

Hello,

Jaspers military service record shows him reported missing and confirmed as a prisoner of war on 25/03/18. then on the 07/01/19 he is posted to Depot. Can anyone point to where i might find more info on this? Many thanks.

Best Regards

Stuart Edwards

Hi Stuart,

From this link if you put the number 25010 in the search box, it will take you through to a register page for PoWs being administered by the Munster II camp.

image.png.d77b2f81190d075d9babf0d3f84b12c0.png

The register headings read as:

Column 1

Lfd. Nr. = Serial number/register entry number

Column 2

a. Familienname = Surname

b. Vorname (nur der Rufname) = Forename (only forename by which known)

c.  nur bei Russen vorname des Vaters = Russians only, forename of father

Column  3

Rank

Column 4

a/b. Truppenteil = Unit

c. Komp. = Company

Column 5

a/b. Gefangennahme (Ort und Tag) = Taken prisoner (place & date)

c.  vorhergehender Aufenhaltsort = Previously at (location):

Column 6

a. Geburtstag und -Ort = Date & place of birth

b/c.  Adresse des nächsten Verwandten = Address of NOK

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

• 9 months later...

I have a few of Jasper's belongings in my possession, which I thought you may be interested in. Regimental Drumsticks from the Fusiliers, the box presented to the troops Christmas 1914 and his identification tag.

IMG_20200219_162638.jpg

IMG_20200219_162649.jpg

IMG_20200219_162800.jpg

IMG_20200219_162849.jpg