Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead man's penny

Clive Maier

The description of a ‘Dead man’s penny’ currently on offer on Ebay includes the following:

This plaque is 120mm in diameter and made of heavy bronze. It was awarded to the family of the above named British sailor, who died in 1918. The plaque depicts Britannia bestowing palms on a tablet bearing the sailors name. below this stands the British Lion with dolphins in the upper field and a lion cub clutches a fallen eagle below. The inscription reads HE DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR.

This example to a sailor, identified by the narrow H of HE compared to the H of Honour, is in very good condition with no hanging holes or bad surface marks.

I have never heard of this typographical code before. Is it true, and if it is, why adopt such a recondite way of indicating a naval casualty?

I have only 2 RN plaques, to brothers from the Indefatigable and yes, the H's are narrower than my army ones.

I'd never noticed it before. :o

Michael

There is an excellent thread regarding the subject of the Death Plaque it can be viewed here and mention is made of this known feature. It also stopped just as the plot was getting exciting, any idea what happend next!

Cheers.

Raster is quite right that the old thread contains much invaluable information. I passed it all on to an avid collector friend who went through his collection and responded to the effect that he had the exceptions that clearly proved the rules. SO, whilst the guidance may in general be correct do not take it as gospel - there are exceptions.

Martin

John et al,

Thanks for pointing out that old thread. The quality and extent of the information is astounding. I hope there is more to come.

But why was it thought necessary to distinguish between army and navy plaques, and why was it done in such a cryptic manner?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I know the Seller of this placque and can vouch for him as being a 'kosher geyser'.

He has differentiated between the 'H's as it gives the placque provenance ie there is only one Naval casualty with this name wheras there are several soldiers.

Ian

:)