Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dufftown War Memorial

Paul Reed

Does anyone have a list of men from this place in Scotland who are shown on the local war memorial? I have tried looking on-line, but cannot find any listings.

Paul

Was it just the photo you were after? as I have quite a good reference book about men from the area who served, if there's anything specific about a man you're after, let me know, I'm in the area about every 6 weeks or so (up there after Christmas)

Hambo

• 10 years later...

I'm probably clutching at straws here by re-opening this thread but could Hambo post the title of the book he mentioned in his post about men who served from the Dufftown area. I had four Great-Uncles who served in WW1, William Collie (CEF Died 1917), Robert Collie (served in WW1 and WW2), James Collie (Gordon HighLanders), and George Collie (HLI) and I am searching for any information to add to what I already have.

Thanks

Keith

Was Andrew Collie a relative?

Aberdeen Evening Express - Thursday 07 November 1918 - Collie-Died of influenza at St Vincent Hospital Paderborn, Germany. Pte Andrew Petrie Collie. (POW) wounded, aged 22 years 11 months. Fifth son of James Collie, Craigearn, Kemnay.

Mike

Skipman

Not a relative. They were all born in Dufftown and their father was Alexander Collie also born in Dufftown. 

I forgot to add another brother John Collie who was in the Gordon Highlanders and wounded at Hulloch in 1915, he also fought in the South African War 1899 - 1902. I was amazed to find that these brothers had had active service in the three major wars that Britain was involved in, in the 20th Century. But I digress.

Thanks for your contribution Skipman.

Best Wishes

Keith

As far as I know it is not exactly a book, more of a big document.  But a good piece of work by a local resident.

I have a copy of it and will have a look when I get a chance tomorrow.

BillyH.

The book/document is by a local resident Barry Hodge.

He gave me a copy of his research so I am sure he won't mind if I reproduce a bit here :

William Collie was the only brother killed , so no mention of the others.

BillyH.

GWF.jpg

Edited by BillyH

Thanks for this BillyH.

This ties in with the information I have although I reckon he was one of 6 sons and he had 3 sisters one of whom was my Granny. Since he was in the CEF I could download his service history which made fascinating reading. Below is part of his record showing his service in France.

Thanks again

Keith

CollieService.jpg

Edited by Scotsmac
Image did not paste