Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'At the War' by Lord Northcliffe- 1916 original(?)

burlington

Usually I am really hopeless at collecting things BUT I picked up this book today.

Northcliffe compiled 'this assembly of some of my letters, telegrams, cablegrams and other writings about the war, and kindred matters, at the request of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John'

It was published, presumably around 1916 (see later), for the Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John.

It has 2 handwritten dedications inside the cover:

J H Waugh. Christmas 1916, from Mrs Stollard

and

Given to John Hall by G K M Green, Executor for Mr Waught. 15 May 1941.

It is presumably a first (or only) edition and is not in bad condition for it's age. It has signed photo of Northcliffe inside BUT I don't know whether this is a real signature or a facsimile.

Any comments. I think I may have got something here. I picked it up for peanuts and maybe the bookseller did not know what he was selling. Or did he?

Oh, being first hand observations, it is both real and readable.

Martin

Martin - I suppose it's not surprising that Northcliffe the great publisher published equally great numbers of this book which told everyone what a pivotal role he had taken in fighting the Boche ! Therefore, there seem to be lots of copies around from £3 upwards.

Thank Ian.

However, I can't find any of these. Where are they please?

I get the impression that you don't like 'the great publisher'

Whether or not these books are as 'cheap as chips', the authentication of the date via the dedication inside the cover and the probability that this was a first (or even only!) edition, surely must count for something price-wise?

I will probably be dissapointed again but would be grateful for your views.

Won't set the world on fire I'm afraid. Picked up a copy of the common first edition for £4.90 some years ago. Facsimile signed photo's were often produced so you are right to be beware. Tim

Martin - a search on bookfinder.com will throw up the copies available.

I haven't read the book and I am sure it may well be a good read. Ironically, some pretty bad books didn't sell well and are now rarer than many good ones.

In my experience personal dedications , unless by the author and to someone famous tend to negatively impact price - though they can still be interesting.