Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map details

sugerand

I would start with www.pathsofglory.co.uk

Dave is a member of the Forum as well. I am sure he can help you.

Andy

Dave

Many thanks for this lead. Is Dave likely to see this posting?

Sue

I'm Andy... Dave (Croonaert) may well see the posting, but if not you can always contact him by PM or through his web site.

I would definitely check out the website first though. He has several maps from various periods of the war posted there.

Andy

If you are looking specifically at 3rd Ypres I think you will find 1/7 (49 Div.) didn't start it's move back to the Salient until the begining of October and only directly took part in the battle of Poelcapelle, 9th October. If that's the case you will need a trench map covering the Meetcheele-Gravenstafel.

Keith

I'm Andy... Dave (Croonaert) may well see the posting, but if not you can always contact him by PM or through his web site.

I would definitely check out the website first though. He has several maps from various periods of the war posted there.

Andy

Sorry Andy-typing error. (I have no excuse as my son is called Andy!)

I have been on your site and found a trench map for the area in 1917, I just need to pinpoint exactly where the 1/7 Bt ,West york Regiment were.

Thanks for your help, apologies again.

Sue

If you are looking specifically at 3rd Ypres I think you will find 1/7 (49 Div.) didn't start it's move back to the Salient until the begining of October and only directly took part in the battle of Poelcapelle, 9th October. If that's the case you will need a trench map covering the Meetcheele-Gravenstafel.

Keith

Kieth

Thank you for this. and all the previous information that you supplied.

You may remember that I am researching my Great Uncle Frank and am now looking at the movements of his Bt's movements. It would help if I could find his date of enlistment.

Can you recommend a source of information on these lines. You seem extremely well informed and I am grateful for your input.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

You could start by ordering a copy of 'The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War, 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall, from your Library. It could take a little while, depending where you live, I think the first time I ordered it it took 6 weeks. If you get a good copy it should have photo's, maps and a list of fatalities for the whole Regt.

I've never found anything written for 1/7, but I will look up the details for books on 1/5 and 1/6 which were also 146 Brigade. Gotta go, will get back to you later.

Keith

Hi Sue,

You could start by ordering a copy of 'The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War, 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall, from your Library. It could take a little while, depending where you live, I think the first time I ordered it it took 6 weeks. If you get a good copy it should have photo's, maps and a list of fatalities for the whole Regt.

I've never found anything written for 1/7, but I will look up the details for books on 1/5 and 1/6 which were also 146 Brigade. Gotta go, will get back to you later.

Keith

Thanks very much for looking up these details. I take it that the 1/5th and 1/6th were often in or around the same region as the 1/7th

Sue

Thanks very much for looking up these details. I take it that the 1/5th and 1/6th were often in or around the same region as the 1/7th

Sue

The 1/7th are covered in the book mentioned by Keith along with the 1/5th and 1/6th. To be precise as to their movements on 9th and 10th October 1917, you want to find "Calgary Grange", "Peter Pan" and "Yetta Houses" on a trenchmap as this is the area they were (due west of Passchendaele and NE of s'Gravenstafel). You'll find these places on trenchmap 28NE (1:20,000) and 28NE1 "Zonnebeke" (1:10,000) - edition 7A (early September 1917) or 7B (early November 1917) would be ideal for the dates you require.

A few forum members have the IWM "Trenchmap CD" which has a couple of editions of 28NE1 on it. Maybe someone could scan you the relevant section?

D.

If it's any help to you, a member of the NZ Otago Regt that I'm researching was killed at Ypres on Dec 12th 1917, at Wattle Dump (which I haven't been able to trace), near Polderhoek Chateau. He was buried at Menin Rd South by Rev S. G. Burnett (or Binnet?) att. 1/7 West Yorks.

The 1/7th are covered in the book mentioned by Keith along with the 1/5th and 1/6th. To be precise as to their movements on 9th and 10th October 1917, you want to find "Calgary Grange", "Peter Pan" and "Yetta Houses" on a trenchmap as this is the area they were (due west of Passchendaele and NE of s'Gravenstafel). You'll find these places on trenchmap 28NE (1:20,000) and 28NE1 "Zonnebeke" (1:10,000) - edition 7A (early September 1917) or 7B (early November 1917) would be ideal for the dates you require.

The 3rd Canadian Division took over this area later in October. The black and white sketches attached to the on-line War Diaires are based on trench maps corrected to 16-Oct-17. An example is here , of which this is a snippet.

post-75-1134609609.jpg

Sue, I don't know where the message I sent yesterday afternoon went , but I will try again!

The Naval and Military Press have reprinted a 1933 64pp booklet entitled 'The 5th West Yorks.-Their part in the Great War, 1914-1918', it covers the 1/5 and 2/5 battalions, but also mentions other units.

In my opinion a better book, but one which you may have to get your Library to search for is 'History of the Sixth Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment' by E. V. Tempest (Capt.), published in 1921 it also covers other units, and has good photo's and maps.

1/5, 1/6 1/7 and 1/8 Battalions made up 146 Brigade, 49th Div. until February 1918 when Brigades were reduced to three Battalions. 1/8 was the Brigade disbanded. In general Battalions remained within their formations, however that was not set in stone and in times of need they were temporarily 'loaned out'.

At the 9th October attack called 'The Battle of Poelcappelle' the 1/5 were on the right, 1/7 in the centre and 1/8 on the left, 1/6 were in reserve. I wont go into more detail because I don't want to spoil the pleasure (if that's the right word) of your read, suffice to say it was muddy, bloody and bad.

Keith

Sue, I don't know where the message I sent yesterday afternoon went , but I will try again!

The Naval and Military Press have reprinted a 1933 64pp booklet entitled 'The 5th West Yorks.-Their part in the Great War, 1914-1918', it covers the 1/5 and 2/5 battalions, but also mentions other units.

In my opinion a better book, but one which you may have to get your Library to search for is 'History of the Sixth Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment' by E. V. Tempest (Capt.), published in 1921 it also covers other units, and has good photo's and maps.

1/5, 1/6 1/7 and 1/8 Battalions made up 146 Brigade, 49th Div. until February 1918 when Brigades were reduced to three Battalions. 1/8 was the Brigade disbanded. In general Battalions remained within their formations, however that was not set in stone and in times of need they were temporarily 'loaned out'.

At the 9th October attack called 'The Battle of Poelcappelle' the 1/5 were on the right, 1/7 in the centre and 1/8 on the left, 1/6 were in reserve. I wont go into more detail because I don't want to spoil the pleasure (if that's the right word) of your read, suffice to say it was muddy, bloody and bad.

Keith

Kieth

Thamks again. I have ordered some books from the library but will order this one too.

Sue

The 3rd Canadian Division took over this area later in October. The black and white sketches attached to the on-line War Diaires are based on trench maps corrected to 16-Oct-17. An example is here , of which this is a snippet.

James

Thank you for these details. I think it will be close to where Uncle Frank was.

Sue

If it's any help to you, a member of the NZ Otago Regt that I'm researching was killed at Ypres on Dec 12th 1917, at Wattle Dump (which I haven't been able to trace), near Polderhoek Chateau. He was buried at Menin Rd South by Rev S. G. Burnett (or Binnet?) att. 1/7 West Yorks.

This was some weeks after my Uncle's death but the connection is interesting. Thank you for the offer of information.