Remembered Today:

East Yorkshire Regiment

CROONAERT

post-16-1073250315.jpg

...and 3...

post-16-1073250400.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Could you see if there is anything on Lt. William Edmund Clare Wigfall, MC, 3rd Bn, East Yorks, DOW 29 August 1916? He was Gazetted 20 October, 1916:

"Lt. William Edward [sic] Clare Wigfall, E. York. R., Spec. Res.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. Though severely wounded and with a fractured thigh he continued to cheer on his men."

Re:name--note either the CWGC (Edmund) or the LG (Edward) is apparently in error. Perhaps SDGW will show.

As always, a big Thanks in advance for your efforts,

Chris :blink:

Chris.

Could you give me any more info (such as which battalion he was serving with when he died)? The 3rd Battalion didn't leave England and was stationed at Withernsea between April 1916 and the armistace.

W.E.C.Wigfall isn't mentioned in the index, and the Roll of Honour and awards lists(which ,incidentally, lists him as "Killed in Action", rather than DOW) don't give his Bn (or, unfortunately, his full name).

"Officers Died..." gives his middle name as Edmund and his battalion as the 3rd.It also says he did "DOW".

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks so much for your efforts! I'm afraid all I have on the good Lieutenant besides the Gazette quote already posted is this newspaper clipping. Would the notation "Spec. Res." in the Gazette heading be indicative that he was in some way temporarily assigned away from his regular battalion (3rd) into some officers'

reserve formed to fill vacancies in the E. Yorks. battalions in France?

Chris

post-16-1078633524.jpg

Would the notation "Spec. Res." in the Gazette heading be indicative that he was in some way temporarily assigned away from his regular battalion (3rd) into some officers'

reserve formed to fill vacancies in the E. Yorks. battalions in France?

Chris.

No. The 3rd Bn. actually was the "Special Reserve" battalion of the East Yorks that prepared drafts of recruits to the 1st and 2nd battalions. It also consisted of soldiers who had been wounded and invalided from these two battalions.

Dave.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave--learn something new here everyday.

Greatly appreciated,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Dave,

i am researching the following soldier,

HIGGINS 11707, L/CPL, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 23/02/16, East Yorkshire Regiment, 7th Battalion.

Could you please have a look in your book and see if there is any mention of the 7th Bn for this date.

I believe that the 17th division were involved in the "actions on the bluff" at this time.

William was killed when an enemy shell exploded in the trench he was manning.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Hello Dave,

i have just come across another soldier from the East Yorkshires as follows,

LYNE, ERNEST

Serjeant

East Yorkshire Regiment

7th Bn.

10/07/1916.

Ernest was killed by a sniper whilst leading his platoon in an attack (his officer had been wounded) on an enemy trench.

Could you please look in your book and see what exactly the 7th Bn East Yorkshire Regt was doing on the Somme, on the 10/7/16.

yours,

Peter.

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

While your got the book out can you help with this officer.

Francis Cyril Coverdale was commisioned 2/Lt into the 3/4th Bn East Yorkshire Regt from the 10th ALHR AIF.

His AIF service record is in the Australian National Archives site which you can check out as it also contains a document showing he survived the war and was a Capt.

Is there any info in the History about this officer and any units or such it may have.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Dave,

I have just been given some interesting information from my aunt when she heard i was researching my Grandfather, about my Great uncle Robert T. Moore 130507 He was a private in the East Yorks Reg. 6th Btn. and according to the CWGC was burried at Londonthorpe Lincolnshire, 21/02/1915. She has given me a photo of him at 'camp' with 22 other lads and has just found a newspaper cutting from one of our local papers of the time stating he died tragically and was found on a lane pressumable near Londonthorpe....where i have found there was a camp.

How would you suggest i find more information about him and his death?

Thanks, Neil.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Dave,

i am researching the following soldier,

HIGGINS 11707, L/CPL, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 23/02/16, East Yorkshire Regiment, 7th Battalion.

Could you please have a look in your book and see if there is any mention of the 7th Bn for this date.

I believe that the 17th division were involved in the "actions on the bluff" at this time.

William was killed when an enemy shell exploded in the trench he was manning.

yours,

Peter.

Peter.

Nothing on 23/2/16 except a mention that they were involved in patrols/sniping and trench repair.

Dave.

S.B.

Sorry. Nothing mentioned of Coverdale in the history as far as I can see.

Dave. :(

Hi Dave,

I have just been given some interesting information from my aunt when she heard i was researching my Grandfather, about my Great uncle Robert T. Moore 130507 He was a private in the East Yorks Reg. 6th Btn. and according to the CWGC was burried at Londonthorpe Lincolnshire, 21/02/1915. She has given me a photo of him at 'camp' with 22 other lads and has just found a newspaper cutting from one of our local papers of the time stating he died tragically and was found on a lane pressumable near Londonthorpe....where i have found there was a camp.

How would you suggest i find more information about him and his death?

Thanks, Neil.

Neil.

Nothing really important mentioned about the 6th Bn untill their arrival at Gallipoli. However, it does mention some horrendous weather conditions while in training "near Grantham" (I've no idea where Londonthorpe is - anywhere near here?).

For further information, you could try the regimental museum, try to get his death certificate and see if his papers still exist at the NA. You can find other research ideas if you look at "Grandad's War" (I think!) on the main site.

Dave.

Ernest was killed by a sniper whilst leading his platoon in an attack (his officer had been wounded) on an enemy trench.

Could you please look in your book and see what exactly the 7th Bn East Yorkshire Regt was doing on the Somme, on the 10/7/16.

Peter.

7/EYR on 10/7/16 (3 posts)...

Dave.

(1)

post-16-1082842829.jpg

post-16-1082842905.jpg

...and 3...

post-16-1082842978.jpg

Nothing really important mentioned about the 6th Bn untill their arrival at Gallipoli. However, it does mention some horrendous weather conditions while in training "near Grantham" (I've no idea where Londonthorpe is - anywhere near here?).

Thanks Dave,

Yes, Londonthorpe is very close to Grantham, i will follow the tips you gave me cheers again,

Neil.

Hello Dave,

thankyou very much for the information on the 7th Bn EYR and especialy for going to the trouble of scanning the entries, very much appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

• 2 months later...

Hello Dave

Could you have a look in the history for mention of the 2nd Bn. on the 8th and 9th May 1915.

As always, thanks very much

Andy

Hi Andy.

Next 3 posts are yours....

post-16-1090246552.jpg

post-16-1090246627.jpg