Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

CROONAERT

Dave,

Thank you. It's very kind of you to have a look for me.

I don't know the full story of the Bradford Pals - where would be best to look?

Best wishes,

David

Dave, Please could you look up what the 9/West Yorks were doing on 10th may 1917?

One of the Bedale men in this battalion was,

JOHN Wm. TAYLOR

Private 235792

9/(Yorkshire Hussars) West Yorkshire Regt. (Prince of Wales's Own) 32nd Brigade, 11th Division.

Who died on Saturday 10 November 1917. Age 24 KIA

Son of J. B. and Mary Janet Taylor, of The Leases, Bedale, Yorks

Born-Bedale Yorks Enlisted-Bedale

Formerly 2044 Yorkshire Hussars.

Thankyou.

Roger.

I don't know the full story of the Bradford Pals - where would be best to look?

David.

To be honest,apart from the regtl. history, I've no idea! (The West Yorks Regt. isn't actually my "thing" - I just happen to have the history!).

Anyway, this is the "cut down" version of events on the 1st July for the 1st Bradfords (the 16th Bn.). I've just left out the preparations, etc.

Dave. ....

post-16-1077931785.jpg

...and...

post-16-1077931869.jpg

Please could you look up what the 9/West Yorks were doing on 10th may 1917?

Roger,

Here's the account that covers this date (2 posts)....

Dave.

post-16-1077932016.jpg

...and...

post-16-1077932105.jpg

Dave ,

Thankyou very much for that it is greatly appreciated. I may have another one for you when I get my paperwork organised if that's alright?

Cheers,

Roger.

Further to the above can anyone point me in the direction of a map showing the location of the Norman Brickstacks raided by 9/W.Yorks. 10 May '17?

Thankyou,

Roger.

Further to the above can anyone point me in the direction of a map showing the location of the Norman Brickstacks raided by 9/W.Yorks. 10 May '17?

Roger.

Not too sure on the exact location of the brickstacks, but "Harts Craters" (mentioned in the narrative as a rallying point) is on the below map (the name is under the "6"), so this is the area of the raid.

Dave.

post-16-1078009661.jpg

Dave,

Thanks very much. The other two West Yorks men on the memorial both died of wounds so I don't think much can be gained by finding the locations of their Bns. on the date of their death.

Thanks again for the help you have given.

Roger.

Guest BarbaraStewart

Dave

Many thanks for posting the details of the movements of 1st West Yorks on 21 March 1918. It will be very useful and it will be interesting to see how my Grandfather's account ties in with the official record.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone needing any "look-ups" from this regimental history, just ask.

Dave :)

Dave

My first attempt at finding out where my Grandfather was when wounded. His name was John Palmer No. 38156 17th Batt. West Yorkshire regt. I have 5 original letters from the Infantry record office at York detailing his wounds etc as follows:

Wounded in action France 19th August 1917

Gun shot wound 20th October 1917 admitted to 2. Aus General Hospital

Medium gas shell poisoning 28th May 1918 admitted 2nd Aus Gen Hospital Boulogne. (Batt. not stated)

Gunshot wound (now in 8th Batt.) 30th July 1918 admitted 12. St louis USA Hosp/Rouen.

Gunshot wound 8th Batt 1st October 1918 admitted 2 Canadian Gen Hosp Le Treport.

He died in 1924 and nobody in our family knew where he came from, only either London or Kent but was in the Halifax area around 1914 or before.

Many thanks for any info.

Graham Palmer :)

• 2 months later...

Dave,

I'm trying to find information on my grandfather James Davies-Powell. He came from the Wakesfield area.I am attaching part of his service record, I hope it means something to you, as it doesn't make much sense to me. Any info would be much appreciated.

Karen

post-16-1084492932.jpg

My first attempt at finding out where my Grandfather was when wounded. His name was John Palmer No. 38156 17th Batt. West Yorkshire regt.

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier on this post, Graham. I "lost" this thread.

I see you've got your answer from Kevin in the meantime. If you need scans of the relevant pages, let me know and I'll post them here.

Dave.

I'm trying to find information on my grandfather James Davies-Powell. He came from the Wakesfield area.

Karen.

I can't really help much, I'm afraid, as individual soldiers are not usually named in the text of the history unless they did something extremely mentionable.

Sorry! :(

Dave.

(PS. looking at your attached part of his service record (which shows his promotions), it looks like your grandfather was in the Royal Field Artillery, not the West Yorkshire Regiment!)

Hello Dave

Many thanks for coming back on my request, yes Kevin supplied me with

the answers.

I have tried the MOD but his records are lost, would there be anywhere else

I could find info about him i.e age etc? would the West Yorkshire regiment

museum have anything?

Once again many thanks

Graham

would the West Yorkshire regiment

museum have anything?

Possibly. It can't hurt to give them a try! (do you have their details?)

You could also try the NA at Kew.I believe that a few records that were previously lost have turned up since the transfer of records from the MOD.

If you obtain his death certificate, it would possibly give you his age at death and you can work back from there to get his birth certificate, etc.

Any mention on the 1901 census?

Just a few ideas.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

Ive got his death cert and marriage cert but the date of birth (year wise)

differs by about 5 years!! typical.

Anyway didn't know about the lost records being found so it might be worth a go.

Once again many thanks for your valued help

Graham

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Can you look up the whereabouts and movements of the West Yorkshires who were in the 62nd Division, 185th Brigade between the dates 21st March - 4th April 1918?

One of my aims is to try and establish where these regiments were in relation to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment who were also in the line at the time.

...and also, is there any mention of a Lt H Brown (with apologies to the forum for throwing in this question once more!!) I've been in contact with the West Yorkshire Regimental Museum, who are kindly pinpointing which H Browns served in the above regiments from the ones that are listed on the MICs, so this is not a vital question - but I had to ask...

with thanks

doogal

Can you look up the whereabouts and movements of the West Yorkshires who were in the 62nd Division, 185th Brigade between the dates 21st March - 4th April 1918?

I've had another look at the units section of this website and can be a little more specific, they were the 1/8th, 2/5th, 2/7th West Yorkshires, all in the 185th Brigade, in the 62nd Division at the time.

doogal

I've had another look at the units section of this website and can be a little more specific, they were the 1/8th, 2/5th, 2/7th West Yorkshires, all in the 185th Brigade, in the 62nd Division at the time.

doogal

Doogal

Roughly seaking ,their movements were as follows:

21 March - Arleaux

24/25 March - Ayette

25 March - Bucquoy

25 March (5pm) -Achiet-le-Petit (they were holding the road between Achiet and Buquoy)

26 March - near Longeast Wood

28 March - Rettemoy Farm (and, for a while, part of Rossignol Wood)

31 March - relieved out of the line into reserve at Marieux.

They were then out of the line until April 6/7 when they returned to Bucquoy.

No mention of Lt.Brown.

Dave.

doogal

...and here's a section of map from the OH for March 26th, showing their exact locations....

dave.

post-16-1087915861.jpg

Dave,

I really appreciate the look-up. (inc. H Brown)

This is the first map I've seen of this action, so it's enabled me to get a far stronger view than I had to date.

thanks for this

doogal

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Could you please look up the actions for the 8th battalion on September 30th 1918.

Looking for info on Capt Simpkin who was KIA attached from the 13th Yorks.

As always very grateful for any help.

Bob.