Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

CROONAERT

Anyone needing any "look-ups" from this regimental history, just ask.

Dave :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from Canada.

Does your book contain any information about 8835 Company Quartermaster Sergeant J.H. Frost of the 3rd Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment?

The main information I am seeking is to learn his cause of death. The CWGC site states that he died May 16, 1916 and is buried in Northumberland, United Kingdom. I have his 1914 star trio but it appears he wasn't killed in action if he was buried in England.

Someone on another site checked his name on the Soldiers Died CD and it didn't mention whether his death was accident, illness, died of wounds...

I would appreciate any info you can provide. Best regards-Brock.

Dave,

My Grandfather was in 22 (Labour) Bn West Yorks.and was transferred to the labour Corps with the rest of the battalion any info regarding the 22 Bn would be most welcome/

Thanks,

Roger.

Roger.

The following 4 posts are practically all that is mentioned in the history.The first 2 are 1916 and the second 2 are 1917. Hope this is of some help,

Dave.

post-16-1063027606.jpg

post-16-1063027699.jpg

post-16-1063027743.jpg

post-16-1063027802.jpg

Brock.

The only mention is in the "Roll of Honour" and only gives info from SDGW ("died - home"). The 3rd was a special reserve battalion and never left these shores, so there's no real mention of them in the history.

Sorry I can't be a little more specific, but "died - home" covers a multiple of sins, usually meaning he died of natural causes.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks very much for that. I didn't think there would be much about the 22nd. But what you have provided is interesting all the same.

Roger.

You're quite welcome,Roger. I forgot to mention - image 3 refers to January 1st 1917.

Dave.

Dave,

I would appreciate it if you could look up the 1/6th Battalion for 27 Apr 1918, presumably they were defending against the German Flanders attacks, but any detail would be most welcome.

Thank you,

Jim

Jim,

The remains of the 1/6th (2 officers, 44 ORs) were withdrawn to Ouderdom Camp on the night of the 26th April after suffering a severe mauling in the second battle of the Kemmel Ridge between 25th and 26th April and were still there on the 27th. There's a full chapter of 8 pages covering the 1/6th (along with the 1/5th and 1/7th) between these dates (quite a story!). This is the chapter ...

Dave

...page 1...

post-16-1063088181.jpg

post-16-1063088248.jpg

post-16-1063088317.jpg

post-16-1063088378.jpg

post-16-1063088476.jpg

post-16-1063088559.jpg

post-16-1063088624.jpg

...and (finally!) 8.

Dave.

post-16-1063088751.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Could you tell me where the 1/8th Leeds rifles were on 1 Jul 1916? In my grandfather's notes he said he was injured on the first day of the Somme offensive (even mentions it to be around 3:00 in the afternoon)

Thanks for any help

Glenn

Glenn.

The 1/8th were held in reserve on this day in support to the 1/5th, 1/6th and 1/7th Battalions. These battalions didn't go "over" until approx. 3.45pm on the 1st July, though they were taking up positions in Thiepval Wood until 2.15pm. They were due to attack Thiepval village at 4pm after many hours of simply "hanging around".

The 1/8th (1 company)"went over" at 8.30pm to form a defensive flank in front of the Schwarben Redoubt and to reinforce 107 Brigade. There were many casualties and they eventually withdrew. By 2nd July, the 1/8th was scattered with some troops in the front line and some behind the lines.

There's quite a lot of pages covering 1st July in the history, so let me know if you want them scanning.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Since it was a pretty involved day, I can understand why there were so many pages. But if you can look through and see any mention of the Germans using gas that day, I would appreciate it. He says he was gassed and received a slight thigh wound; enough to have him evacuated to England and eventually discharged in 1917.

Thanks,

Glenn