Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships used to transport troops to Gallipoli

oak

Again thanks martin..

What do you know abt Major Bernard Head as when he went to NZ as looking for dates and troopships.

Also looking for dates when first joined up as well.

Thanks for information so far..

Howard.

Again thanks martin..

What do you know abt Major Bernard Head as when he went to NZ as looking for dates and troopships.

Also looking for dates when first joined up as well.

Thanks for information so far..

Howard.

I am not sure I understand the question.. It really helps if you can add as much info as you know. Which Regiment? 1/5th RWF? When did he go to NZ? How ? with who? etc etc... The general approach I would recommend is to lay out all you know . That way its saves people trying to help from covering the same ground... MG

Thanks martin but ask another question which one .

She sunk in 1916 or 1917.

Do u have any more information abt this ship.

Thanks as in list of names or how people she carried.

Lastly have u heard of SS Hunts Green.

Howie

Martin thanks for all your help so far..

Tried to look into the national archives but cannot find the article you suggested me to read and see myself.

If possible can you send me through this forum that web link. Thanks.

Back onto that ss California do u have any more details.

Regarding the major..I have plenty to work on him.

Problem is that I keep coming across that the battalion rejoined into the

53rd welsh division and that was part of the 158th brigade and it says it left on 19 July 1915. Have a play around see what I mean..

I will write again..

Lastly found I very DVD and demo is on you tube called Gallipoli from above..I going to get this DVD soon.

Oops even I got spelling of ship wrong in any case I checked again and still I found it embarked on 19 July 1915.

Yes that DVD is the story about the untold story that we never knew abt...

• 2 weeks later...

Martin..

Or anyone out there..

Do you know if the SS Caledonia stopped to pick up more soldiers on the way and did it stop at Cairo before going to Gallipoli..

If so what date was it and how long did it sail again on.

Martin..

Or anyone out there..

Do you know if the SS Caledonia stopped to pick up more soldiers on the way and did it stop at Cairo before going to Gallipoli..

If so what date was it and how long did it sail again on.

No liner could get to Cairo as it was inland on the river Nile. The nearest port was Alexandria where it stopped on 25th/26th July as per my previous post.

I think it highly likeley some men disembarked and other joined the SS Caledonia at Alexandria.

Thanks martin for you help.

Do u names of ships that departed from Alexandria to uk in march 1915 or any ship names that arrived in uk in the month of April 1915. Or any ships departing NZ in February 1915 and arriving in uk in April 1915..

Thanks again..

Thanks martin for you help.

Do u names of ships that departed from Alexandria to uk in march 1915 or any ship names that arrived in uk in the month of April 1915. Or any ships departing NZ in February 1915 and arriving in uk in April 1915..

Thanks again..

I am afraid I have no idea. You might try posting in the Gallipoli Section as some Antipodeans might know the troopship movements to NZ.

MG

• 4 months later...

I wonder if anyone recognises this ship from my grandpa's diary. He was posted to the 6th RWF at Suvla on October 12th 1915 travelling out on this ship. This is part of a small pocket book I found recently which I'm hoping to transcribe.

It looks very much like "SS Sarkan" however a web search has failed to bring up anything, other than Sarkan appears to be a Turkish word. He lists other ships seen on the way - the Dunraven Castle and the Burdigala.

Thanks

Will

post-87057-0-15239600-1422355049_thumb.j

A document I am translating mentions the name of a ship that apparently transported 2/SWB from the UK to Egypt and possibly onwards to Gallipoli in July 1915. The name has evidently been mis-transcribed, as 'Thenivocks'. Can anyone perhaps suggest what it should be?

A document I am translating mentions the name of a ship that apparently transported 2/SWB from the UK to Egypt and possibly onwards to Gallipoli in July 1915. The name has evidently been mis-transcribed, as 'Thenivocks'. Can anyone perhaps suggest what it should be?

Can you post a pic of the original. I have the Embarkation Officer's ledger for June 26th 1915 to 11th Feb 1916 - 49 pages listing ships coming into and out of Mudros. Probably something in excess of 80 names ships.many appearing multiple times.

A guess would be SS Themistocoles but a picture of the original handwriting would be of use. MG

Edit. The history states the 2nd Bn SWB embarked on the SS Canada on 17th March, disembarking in Alexandria on 26th March 1915. On April 8th the battalion left for Mudros on the SS Alaunia with the transport on the SS Manitou

Many thanks, Martin. 'Themistocoles' certainly looks like a promising candidate. I'm afraid there is no 'original handwriting', as the wrong transcription appears in a typewritten document.

Mick

SS Scotian

Martin

Many thanks. I don't believe I'd have ever worked that out from his handwriting.

Will

Many thanks, Martin. 'Themistocoles' certainly looks like a promising candidate. I'm afraid there is no 'original handwriting', as the wrong transcription appears in a typewritten document.

Mick

OK...If you think the word definitely starts with T I can list all the ships beginning with T.... or if yo PM me you email I will drop-box the whole document.

TEESTA

THEMISTOCOLES

TINTORETTO

TRANSYLVANIA

TREVETHOE

TREWILLARD

Thanks again, Martin. If those are the Ts, then Themistocoles certainly looks like the best bet. Fortunately the correct name of the ship isn't crucial to the task in hand; it's just my own curiosity, so I'll pass on the whole document.

Mick

• 2 months later...

My Great Uncle sailed from Liverpool in May 1915 with the Cameronian Rifles, headed for Gallipoli. Does any know how I would find the name of the ship in which he sailed and its route or destination, even if it stopped off anywhere along the way.

Many Thanks,

James

Sailed from Liverpool 23 May in the EMPRESS OF BRITAIN. Gibraltar 28 May, Malta 31 May, Alexandria 3 June (camp at Abukir). Sailed Alexandria 9 June, Mudros 11 June. To Helles 14 and 14 June. ("British Regiments at Gallipoli" - Westlake).

Thanks a million Horatio2. I'm slowly building up a picture of my Great Uncle who I know nothing about. Thanks again................................ James

• 1 month later...

Hello

Three diarists on the same ship leaving Mudros on 21st Jan 1916 managed to spell the name of the ship four different ways. I think the HMT AUSONIA set sail with the 40th Inf Bde from the Dardanelles heading to Egypt on this date, but the diarists of the various units recorded ANSONIA, AUSONIA, ANCONIA and ANCONA (the last two by the same diarist)

I am 99% sure it is AUSONIA but I would rather be 100% sure. Do any of the other ships' names ring a bell? and if so, did they operate in the Med in 1915/16?

MG all at sea.

It is definitely Ausonia. She was built in 1909 at Newcastle by Swan, Hunter and Whigham Richardson for the Thompson Line and named Tortona. Sold in 1911 to Cunard and renamed Ausonia , the vessel was put into service as a troopship in 1915. On 30 May 1918 she was torpedoed and sunk with the loss of 44 lives.

TR