Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

224th siege battery RGA

alan1830

this is the first time ive used the forum so here goes !

I am researching my relative -second lieutenant Ernest Kiddier who was killed on 17.9.18 whilst serving with 224 siege battery rga (according to cwwgc).of interest i believe he started the war as a private in the Artist Rifles but this may be incorrect.

Any information on 224 would be appreciated.thanks

Alan: A number of things:

1. 2nd Lieut. Ernest Kiddier was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, RGA Special Reserve on 2 Dec 1917.

2. Prior to being commissioned he served in the RGA as 108211 Gunner E. Kiddier and was commissioned from an Officer Cadet Unit.

3. He is not listed as being a member of the Artists Rifles.

4. His service papers are available at the National Archives in file WO339/101206

5. The CWGC lists his unit as 224 Seige Bty, RGA but "The Cross of Sacrifice, Volume 1" shows his unit as 244 Siege Bty, RGA.

6. Unfortunately the war diaries of both of those siege batteries have not been traced and I am not aware of a unit history for either of them.

Dick Flory

Alan: A number of things:

1. 2nd Lieut. Ernest Kiddier was commissioned as a 2nd Lieut, RGA Special Reserve on 2 Dec 1917.

2. Prior to being commissioned he served in the RGA as 108211 Gunner E. Kiddier and was commissioned from an Officer Cadet Unit.

3. He is not listed as being a member of the Artists Rifles.

4. His service papers are available at the National Archives in file WO339/101206

5. The CWGC lists his unit as 224 Seige Bty, RGA but "The Cross of Sacrifice, Volume 1" shows his unit as 244 Siege Bty, RGA.

6. Unfortunately the war diaries of both of those siege batteries have not been traced and I am not aware of a unit history for either of them.

Dick Flory

Alan,

The 224th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were formed at Plymouth on the 12th August 1916, and were eventually disbanded in 1919.

On the 3rd September 1917, 425th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and it's sections joined 153rd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. and 224th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. respectively.

By November 1918 224th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were serving as Army Troops with 62nd(Mixed)Brigade,R.G.A., Third Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

122nd(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

126th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60ponder guns.

224th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

274th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

67th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 8inch Howitzers.

76th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 9.2.inch Howitzers.

Sorry, thats all I know.

Graham.

• 6 years later...

Hi there

Don't know if you're still researching Lt Kiddier but he seems to have had a book of poetry dedicated to him

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/cecil-roberts/charing-cross-and-other-poems-of-the-period-ala/1-charing-cross-and-other-poems-of-the-period-ala.shtml

Cheers

Simon