Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The War the Infantry Knew

gem22

This book is an absolute must for anyone researching, or interested in, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers; and specifically 2 RWF. Capt. Dunn was Regimental Medical Officer for much of the Battalion's time on the Western front. His book is compiled from his own memories but with many contributions from surviving members. Siegfried Sassoon contributed a chapter.

The book combines the best of personal memoirs with a view of the war from Battalion level. This is a view not commonly seen. Memoirs, by their very nature, are usually pesonal and limited. Official histories tend to cover regimental dealings and so a book that covers a single battalion in such detail is very welcome.

I would recommend this book to all serious students of the Great War, and if you get the chance to purchase a first edition be prepared to fight for it.

Garth

I agree with comments on TWTIK edited and compiled by Dunn. It has been my secular bible these past 20 years. Given your interest, and at the risk of verging on advertising, do you own/have you seen 'Duty Done', all about 2RWF? Have a look at RWF Museum website, still a few copies left. Or from Ray Westlake.

As to first editions, only 500 were printed, privately, and they are as scarce as by-product from rocking horses. I have a complete photo-copy of it, plus a first edition of the Janes hard back with illustrations, plus an annotated softback [my own footnotes and marginalia], plus a virgin spare for when the annotated one falls to bits.

You could say I am keen.

Thanks for the tip about 'duty done'. I will bear that in mind for future reading. My main collection of books are of the memoir/ diary/ letters of, style. I bought TWTIK at a book fair because it looked interesting. It proved to be much more than just interesting. Duty Done will have to wait a little while as I have over 40 books still waiting to be read.

Garth

This book should of course be read in conjunction with that other great tomb from the 2/RWF, OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE by Frank Richards. It is very rewarding and dare I say, fun, to dove tail the stories where possible.

• 1 month later...

I felt that it was a very good read, but a little difficult to read the parts contributed by others. I had to keep looking back to work out who was who.

Dunn wasn't with the Battalion throughout so relied on others to fill in the gaps.

I found his own recollections to be far better constructed and easier to read. Overall, a very interesting book.

Ken

I felt that it was a very good read, but a little difficult to read the parts contributed by others. I had to keep looking back to work out who was who.

Ah, well, you need "Duty Done", the companion to TWTIK and Richards's Old Soldiers Never Die"

Ah, well, you need "Duty Done", the companion to TWTIK and Richards's Old Soldiers Never Die"

David

Nothing like a bit of advertising, eh?

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation of The War.......

Now delivered by Amazon and added to my growing pile of "to be read". And I reckon that my man Bennett does fit the reference in the book so I'll be writing up his story as "probably this man". Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll let you have a photo of his grave when I track it down.

John

Richards has some choice comments about a general who tried to tone down their language.

He also has an interesting point about DCM and MM which was created during the war. DCM carried a L20 bonus MM zero plus DCM added to ones pension. After inception of MM there were 50 times more than DCM. He makes a similar point about DSO and MC for officers.

My understanding of Pay Warrant and Richards's comments about DCM pension is that this was ADDITIONAL to a service pension for 21 years service, and if you did not get a service pension, you did not get the 6d a day for the DCM either.

I would expect nothing else from HM Treasury.

There was also a L20 bonus except for troops from the Dominions who got extra leave time I have been told. Alexander McClintock's records contain his complaint that he did not get the 20, I started asking about this and was told as above.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great book and now available from "Fopp" shops for £5! If you don't have one near you and want a copy - that is if the Nottingham branch still has some when I next go - let me know and I'll get one for you.

Cheers,

Jim

I agree it is a magnificent book. I finished a second reading of it earlier this year having first read it about 10 years ago.

Like Ken, however, I found it difficult to work out who was writing what at any one time due to the large number of contributers.

Tim

Superb book, thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry I can't add anything more intellectual than that, but I haven't been to bed for 40 hours!