Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Live Ammo on Ebay?

DaveBrigg

A new seller from France seems to have been at work with his metal detector. Amongst the usual buckles, helmets and shrapnel balls was the following: http://cgi.ebay.com/Battlefield-Relic-From...1QQcmdZViewItem

To my untrained eye these seem to be live rounds, presumably still capable of ruining someone's day. I informed Ebay but the transaction seems to have gone through, although later listings have had the word 'inert' added. Unfortunately the buyer id is secret, but presumably the Royal Mail would not be keen on live WW1 ammo bouncing around in the back of one of their vans.

To my untrained eye these seem to be live rounds, presumably still capable of ruining someone's day.

They are - if you have something to fire them with or you mess about with them too much. They're actually (even after all these years) quite stable and unlikely to just "go off" accidentally.

D.

They are - if you have something to fire them with or you mess about with them too much. They're actually (even after all these years) quite stable and unlikely to just "go off" accidentally.

D.

Though, all that said, it actually is illegal to purchase or sell them in this country without the relevant documentation. (Though I don't think I'd have bothered contacting ebay about it to be honest)

D.

This seller has been featured before on this Forum and I believe he got a bit abusive with one of our members?

Tony

This really is a time bomb waiting to go off.

No one really for much bothers these days..........whats the point in telling people that the German WW1 egg grenade once primed cannot be made safe........no one listens.........they just throw abuse at you.

There have been hundreds of primed egg grenades sold on Ebay.........it wont be long until someone loses an arm.

Steve.

This seller has been featured before on this Forum and I believe he got a bit abusive with one of our members?

Tony

Clearly determined action is required to stamp out this dangerous practice.

E-Bay were featured in BBC's Watchdog programme this week by refusing to honour commitment to alleviate the results of seller fraud, even when the transaction was carried out through their recommended Pay Pal.

Perhaps this should be brought to the BBC's attention too. Sure the seller could find other channels for this business but E-Bay should refuse it.

I was at an arms and collectors fair in France on Sunday and I could have bought a couple of original WW1 bandoliers complete with all pouches filled with live .303 rounds. 35 € a bandolier. No, I didn't buy them.

Gunner Bailey

D.

Thank you -

I presume from the confident manner in which you proffer this advice you are an AT/ATO in the British Army, or the equivalent in another armed force?? Or work in the munitions industry?? Or hold some recognised relevant scientific qualification?

Jock Bruce

Out here where I live, shipping live rounds through the post is the only way I can get ammunition for my old rifles and pistols. It's quite legal in the US, just provide proof of age (usually a copy of your driver's license), and United Parcel Service or Federal Express will deliver them right to your door. They do like to have the exterior of the package marked, however, so they don't give it the gorilla treatment somewhere on the way. Small arms ammo is quite stable, in fact, the problem I have is getting the old ammo to fire!

That said, Ebay does usually prohibit this sort of sale, however.