Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

connaught rangers

Guest Patrick Marshall

Guest Patrick Marshall

I am attempting to locate the war diary of the Connaught Rangers. A particular date 1st Sept 1916 is of interest to me. In a articale published by the Royal Dublin Fuslliers Association it describes the shelling of Guillemont on the morning of the 1st Sept and mentions the presence of the Connaught rangers. Many shells fell short killing some 200 allied troops. I think that my grandfather Crp Robert Marshall was one of those wounded for he died of his wounds on the 3rd of Sept. I would be gratefull for any information available or directions to look in

Patrick Marshall

The following is taken from Chapter LXXXI page 220 & Chapter LXXXII page 221 of 'The Connaught Rangers, Vol. III 1914-1919, 5th and 6th Battalions' by Lt.-Col. H. F. N. Journdain, & Edward Fraser originally published 1928 re-pub. by Schull Books 1999.

Page 220......."They then prceeded by citadel for the trenches in rear of Guillemont. The battalion here held the front the front line between the 7th Battalion Leinster Regiment and a battalion of the Staffordshire Regiment. C Company held the left of the line, and D Company the right opposite the Quarries. A Company was in the support line, and B Company in reserve. September 1st and 2nd were spent in improving the trenches. On the 2nd the reserve line was heavily shelled from 6 to 8 p.m. B Company suffered severely in consequence, having ten men killed and thirty wounded."

Page 221 "On the afternoon of September 2nd the Battalion was informed that it was to take part in an attack planned for the next day, in place of a battalion of the Rifle Brigade belonging to the Twentieth Division. The Battalion was drawn up at 5 a.m. on the 3rd, in position for attack, which was to be carried out in waves. In the first wave C Company, on the left, was to attack from Rim Trench, and D Company, on the right, to attack through the Quarry. In the second wave two platoons of B Company were to follow C Company, and two platoons of A Company to follow D Company. In the third wave two platoons of B Company were to advance on the left, and two platoons of A Company on the right.

The British field artillery began to shell the enemy front line about 8 a.m. Unfortunately during the early part of the action several of our own trench-mortar projectiles fell short and landed in Rim Trench, and also in Hun Alley and in Support Trench. Before noon the casualties in the battalion from all causes numbered nearly two hundred. At 11.55 a.m., indeed, the two companies of the first wave had been so much weakened that the Commanding Officer had to order the companies forming the second and third waves to reinforce the first wave in case of an attack by the enemy.

The British field artillery batteries opened an intense barrage on the enemy's front and support trenches on the stroke of noon. Three minutes later the barrage lifted, and at once C and D Companies advanced to attack, followed by B and A Companies. Success attended the Rangers from the start. On the left the enemy surrendered at once, although the companies experienced casualties from machine-guns in the direction of the Quarries. On the right some opposition was shown, but that was soon overcome. The Rangers next proceeded to clear the enemy out of the cellars in the Quarries. They had attained their first objective by 12.9 p.m. The second objective was gained at 12.30 p.m., and the third, North Street, at 12.55 p.m."

Alan Seymour