Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

canadian bayonet practice helmet

canada.ieper

Does anyone have more information on this type of helmet.

It was on ebay with itemnumber 6584321008.

Is it a genuine item , and does anyone has more info please.

greetings.post-8482-1133992070.jpg

I've certainly never come across this helmet before, so I wouldn't like to say whether

its geniune or not. From the picture it doesn't appear very practical for the wearer, but

who knows, you're always coming across something new and unheard of.

Geoff

All the pictures with it looked genuime. I guess this was the idea of someone with a fencing background although there could be a Japanese (Kendo) link. Very unusual and I'd never seen this before.

Gunner Bailey

I have never seen a helmet like this manufactured and specifically designated to be used in military training, but have seen something similar being used in martial arts training with swords and staves. All I can think is neccesity being the mother of invention it was used or could be used in bayonet training.

Having trained soldiers before I have been forced to improvise, this might be an incident of just that. If it was made for the military it would be marked accordingly.

Cheers,

Rob

Canada

The leather work looks quite OK but the thing is hardly worth having as it is missing the wire face mask. I had a couple of these helmets/masks some years ago, bought at a small auction but passed them on unrestored. The masks would have been battalion or gymnasium stores before the war but once there were several hundred thousand new recruits to train there was a lot of training done without the helmets or padded jackets so they don't feature much in training photos. I attach a picture of the kit in use (1/9th Battalion Hampshire Regt, Bangalore, India 1916)

Mikepost-97-1134040246.jpg