Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old old soldiers

Muerrisch

KR 1914 infer that service beyond 21 years was possible. I have two likely candidates from RWF, who, judging by regimental numbers joined 1888 and 1890. RQMS 1RWF, Sgt 2RWF. They earned the 1914 star. Please do we have any authenticated examples of these old boys?

Just done one - Richard B Hayward, Rifle Brigade and RI Rifles.

Born 3/1/1873

Boy enlistment 3/9/1887

Re-engaged 10/11/1896

Permitted to continue beyond 21 years 25/4/1908

Permitted to extend service 27/2/1914 till 4/1/1920

Commissioned 4/11/1914

To half pay on account of ill-health 25/1/1919

Stitched-up by the War Office, despite strong representations from his Bn OC who wrote to say that he was sorely needed with the Bn - if he'd been allowed to serve into 1920 then his pension entitlement would have risen from £160 pa to £200 pa. There were also issues over his elements of his non commissioned service counting towards pension, and the WO putting him on Lieutenant's half pay when he was serving as a T/Captain.

Sudan Medal clasp Kartoum, QSA Defence of Ladysmith, LSGC, 15 Trio ...... 32 years good service and the WO wrote and told him that as he'd been gazetted out they couldnt correspond with him - write to the Ministry of Pensions.

regards - Tom

Tom, thank you, poor teatment indeed.

My personality is such that I like rules, and therefore I am in harmony with the up-tight Edwardians and Georgians with their intricate Kings Regs and Pay Warrants and AOs which seem to, try to, cater for every eventuality.

One of my brave boys, James Oswald Caldwell RWF, was commissioned from the ranks in the field early in the war. His case was so complicated [including, eg, he had bought himself out and re-enlisted same regiment, thus having two different regimental numbers on his documents] that internal WO correspondence confessed that, although they could work out his end-of-war gratuity, a whopping £900, his pension fell outside the letter of the rules. He did OK, though, and quite right too. £900 worth about £30,000 this year.