Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railway Strike 1914

iain mchenry

Yesterday I was shown a small medallion shield awarded to my Great Great Uncle in 1914. He was a train driver before and during the years of the Great War and came originally from Northern Ireland (Ireland then of course). To my knowledge he worked on the railways of the UK and Ireland, after WW1 moving to South Africa. I know nothing else about him.

The small medallion shield is decorated on one side with his initials "R.McM." (Robert McMeekin) and on the other side is the text: "Presented to Driver McMeekin for devotion to duty at great risk. Strike 1914."

Was there a general rail strike in the UK in 1914, before or after the declaration of war?

Was it a strike as a result of the growing problems in Ireland?

I would be very greatful for any help or pointers.

Regards

Iain

Iain

In 1913 a strike in Dublin was supported by the British trade union movement. The Cooperative Movement sent large amounts of food for the Irish strikers. By June 1914 over 2,000,000 workers were on strike when railwaymen and miners joined the strikers.

Dave

This particular movement began with a lockout of the Dublin tramway workers in particular over trade union recognition issues. Many people believe that they were a particularly exploited group at the time and many had been attracted to James Larkin's work in organising the TGWU in Ireland.

Edited by Chris_Baker