Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Constipated Chicken' Unit Emblem?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I came across this interesting reference in the diary of a British Army nurse, now long passed away, of a regimental emblem known as the 'Constipated Chicken' to soldiers of the regiment :blink:

Has anyone heard of this before?

The only other information I have is that it could be something to do with a Pals battalion. One source I have already spoken to has suggested a Welsh link?

Any information welcome.

Ian

:)

Hello Ian

The only Pals unit that I can think of who would have had any connection with "Chickens" are the Bradford Pals.

As you might well know Bradford City FC are known as the Bantams. It was said that the pre-Great War strip of claret and amber resembled the plummage of the bird. There was no objection to being associated with the small but fearless fighting creatures and the nickname was encouraged by the club. Live bantams were even taken to games by enthusiastic supporters and released.

Andy

post-2-1061302468.jpg

Hi Ian,

Personally, I reckon it is most probably

THE KINGS (LIVERPOOL REGIMENT) 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th Battalions (1st, 2nd, & 4th CITY) 'LIVERPOOL PALS'

My money is on the Eagle of the 14th Hussars which does look like its straining at something....,but I think they did n't wear it in the Great Wae as it was Prussian failing that the Eagle cap badges of the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons) might pass muster

The Bradford Pals wore the West Yorks horse while the Liverpool Pals wore the "Eagle and Child" emblem of Lord Derby which was vulgarly known as "the buzzard and b-----d". There was a rumour that some of the Liverpool cap badges were made with real silver and soldiers of other Regiments would often try to steal them

There was an Infantry Division with Lord Derby's badge as well (34th?) and people used to mock them with "here come the Stanley family retainers"

The badge of the "uncrowned King of Lancashire" got its wearers into a lot of trouble...

Here are some more to mull over,

Royal Buckinghamshire(Yeomanry) Hussars

Lanarkshire Yeomanry

Hawke Battalion RND

and at a push......

Hood Battalion RND

Hi Ian,

Personally, I reckon it is most probably

THE KINGS (LIVERPOOL REGIMENT) 17th, 18th, 19th & 20th Battalions (1st, 2nd, & 4th CITY) 'LIVERPOOL PALS'

Hussar

Were any of the Liverpool units using a 'Liver Bird' as their emblem?

If so then that could be it

Thirty-odd years ago I used to wear a Liverpool Mountaineering Club badge which featured the Liver Bird and it fitted the description 'constipated chicken' to a T.

We had some good times back then, even though we were barred from certain watering holes from Snowdonia to the Stubiaer Alpen!

Michael D.R.

• 11 months later...

Could it be that "Constipated Chicken" was a comical name for the

Bantam rooster emblem of various Bantam battalions of the

British and Canadian armies? I never came across mention of

the particular term when I interviewed 300-odd aged Bantam

veterans, but still ...

-- Sidney Allinson.

Blimey! The old Constipated Chicken thread from August 2003!

Amazing what you can find in the forum archive. :rolleyes:

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Blimey! The old Constipated Chicken thread from August 2003!

Amazing what you can find in the forum archive. :rolleyes:

Must have been a tough old bird ;)

It chicken thing is definetly relating to The Derby family crest which the Liverpool Pals battalions used as their cap badge. The badge shows an eagle with a child in it's eyrie. The badges were issued in solid silver (hallmarked), brass and bronze for officers. If you intend to buy a silver badge be careful and check for the hall marks. The badge was also known as the ' ruptured duck.'

a friend of mine recently send me a picture of this converted cap pals badge

note the hall mark

post-2-1092260993.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
It chicken thing is definetly relating to The Derby family crest which the Liverpool Pals battalions used as their cap badge. The badge shows an eagle with a child in it's eyrie. The badges were issued in solid silver (hallmarked), brass and bronze for officers. If you intend to buy a silver badge be careful and check for the hall marks. The badge was also known as the ' ruptured duck.'

Interesting - I'd never heard of a ruptured duck before :)

• 1 year later...

I agree with "old chap" in regards to the Derby issue of hallmarked badges which were referred to as "a constipated......" (bird of various species)

The first issues were of silver and later ones of bronze or gilding metal. I have a hallmarked one of solid silver which has a pin for retention, which suggests that the soldier left it at home with one of his beloved ones before he set sail.

The battalions granted this were the 17th to 20th Kings and Lord derby presented his family crest/badge to each of them.

Quite scarce, nowadays

Dr B.

:)