Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

dunmore44

I have a copy of the original war diary for the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, Aug 1914 - July 1915.

Is there any mention of the Godley/Dease actions where they both won the VC?

Godley was my fathers in laws cousin

Thanks Hambo

Here a page from the 4RF diary mentioning Dease & Godley, next page to follow if this works

post-9450-1133542361.jpg

seems okay, so here is page 2

post-9450-1133542633.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow pals. My gt grandad was in 4 RF and I have some of the units war diary that I downloaded from Kew, although I have no idea how to download it onto here yet!! Do you pals have relatives that served in this battalion? Do you know of any mentions in the diaries of Fusilier Bernard Heavey? He was discharged unfit for further service in 1916 or thereabouts and got a swb.

I'd be grateful for anything more in the war diary about the battalion's movements up to and including the action (Nimy, August 23rd 1914) in which the following were both killed:

Lieutenant Joseph Frederick MEAD

Lieutenant Everard Cecil SMITH

Both attended Winchester College, hence my interest.

Thank you.

Shaun

Edited by Shaun Hullis

Shaun

I have an account of Mead's death written by a brother officer

You may have it already but if not drop me a line

Hambo

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Dunmore

Could you please tell me if the 4th BN were amalgamated with the 24th BN(2nd Sportsmen)at some stage in the Gt War,as my GT GT uncle Henry, John, Morrell service number S/R9571 fought with the 4th Bn at some time,but ended up in the 24th BN in 1918,when he was killed and lost near Barastre on the 24th March 1918.

I have a photo of him in uniform( Very muddy) and he has two wound stripes (Bullets)on his sleeve. It would be great if your Diary lists him as a casualty in the early days.

Best Regards

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hi, one of the soldiers I'm researching is (SR)348 Pte Harry Warren of 4th Royal Fusiliers, DOW 24 Feb 1915.

Would you be kind enough to have a look and see what action might have led to his death? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grace

On the 24th Feb 1915 the 4th bn were fighting in the area around a place called KRUISSTAAT, near YPRE

Most of the casualties occured on the 21st Feb.Quote from the War Diary says 21st Feb marched to new line

of trenches south of YPRES and took over from the SUFFOLKS.Bad wet trenches and quite neglected.

Our own dead lying about all over the place.We have buried dozens of them. A lot of German fire in this section.We had several casualties on the night of the 21st and the 22nd your fella probably being one of them.Hope this helps.

regards Andy

Thanks, Andy, yes it all adds to the picture. I've found the place on the map, very close to Ypres. My chap is buried in Pop, so as he DOW it all makes sense.

• 8 months later...

Hi, is there much entered for the 26/27 oct 1914, I have some medals to pte JJ Bell 4/RF who was kia 26.10.14 and I would like to find out what the Bn were doing? Cheers, Rick

Good Evening Ravrick.

I have a copy of the whole war diary of the 4th bn Royal Fusiliers,quote from the diary says They appear to be in the area of Pont Du Hem near Aubers on the 23rd October. 23rd Oct defencive positions taken up. In our section by 2 bns. Our Bn in reserve at Pont DU Hem billeted.Night of the 23rd heavy firing about 1a.m.Morning of the 24th stood to arms no developments. All coys in billets, but with cover trenches dug in case of shell fire.Ordered out at night to retake trenches evacuated dy another Reg of the 8th brigade,but found on arrival at position that this had already been don by the Middlesex Reg.Spent all night on the move,but did nothing. Left 1 coy out as support to the 8th Bde this coy rejoined billets.

25th Oct Ordered out at about 12 noon to retake trenches evacuated by a Reg of 7th Bde,did so but withseveral casualties including 3 officers 2 killed. Remained in recaptured trenches night or the 25th/26th.

26th Oct

2 coys returned to billets at dawn 26th.2coys in billets 2coys in firing line with 7th Bde.Ordered out with 2coys about 2 p.m to support coys in the firing line west of Neuve Shapelle.Found them heavily engaged, the enemy heving occupied some of our trenches.Made a night attack to try and recapture them but failed and had very heavy casualties including 8 officers.

On the 28th Oct there were only about 8 officers and 350 other kanks left in the Battalion.

hope this helps.

regards Andy P.S there is no mention of your feller personaly.