Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bury (Lancs) Virtual War Memorial

Mark Hone

Hi

I just wondered if the men of Whitworth would be included in this?

Dick Whitworth (funnily enough)

Apologies - having re-read the thread I now see that you are compiling a memorial to those from Bury who served and died, not those who served. Please disregard my previous posting.

Dave Swarbrick

Re: Fred Horrocks. No trace of him so far-the Bury Times did not print an obituary for him, and these provide my principal source for entries. If you could provide any details I will include him when the site becomes 'live' again.

• 1 month later...

Hi There Mark

Some time ago I was pointed in the direction of your virtual war memorial while looking for information on my grandad (he survived the war). whilst on the site I came across my namesake who turned out to be my great uncle who was unknown to me. you included a picture and what appears to be a short obituary, Was this taken from the Bury Times? unfortunately for me the site is down for maintainence so I'm unable to look him up again. I am travelling to Bury next week and was planning to scan through the BT to see if i can find his death notice or anything else they may have. I'm being really cheeky in asking if you have the information to hand......

His name was Edward Kennedy 2nd Batt LFs 6330 and was KIA 01/07/16. I have his medal card, where he is buried and the war diaries of the 2nd Batt but very little else. can you please help??? Also does the new LF museum have facilities to look at records? as I'm still doing some work on my grandad who was in 5th Batt LFs (Territorial Force) and was in France (Armentieres) May to July 1915.

Hopefully Yours

Edward Paul Kennedy

Guernsey CI

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I don't know if you can help me but I am trying to find out if my Great Granddad's name is on any war memorial or monument in Bury? His details are as follows

James Hutchinson

Able Seaman R/5790, Anson Battalion, Royal Naval Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Missing, assumed killed in action on 9th April 1918. Born 12th November 1888 in St Marks, Bury. Husband of Lily of 19 Cecil Street, Mosses, Bury, Lancashire. Joined the Army Reserve 7th June 1916, entered Army 6th August 1917. Select for draft British Expeditionary Forces 2rd December 1917, joined Anson Battalion 6 January 1918 until 17 January 1918 where he was stood down suffering Myalgia, re-joined Anson Battalion 20th February 1918 until his death on 9th April 1918. Buried in Lancashire Dump Cemetery, Aveluy Wood, France. Plot 10. Row E. Grave 3.

Many thanks

Jenny

I shall have a look in the Bury Times for him when I can. I haven't got as far as 1918 yet for technical reasons. The database up to 1916 is currently being reformatted for a new website. I won't be able to look until next week but feel free to give me a nudge about this.

• 1 year later...

As I have mentioned elsewhere, a team of pupils and I have embarked on an ambitious project to produce a Great War Virtual War Memorial For Bury, Lancashire. This is being developed partly as a contribution to the impending relocation and revamping of the Lancashire Fusiliers' Museum from its present site to a new home in the centre of Bury. After years of hemming and hawing, and debating whether to construct a site purely for old boys of our school, I have decided that we now have the capability to go the whole hog and construct a full Bury memorial, with potentially over 3,000 entries. The main job is combining the individual obituaries published by the 'Bury Times' newspaper, usually with photographs, with information from the CWGC and SDGW databases. However, I am of course interested in any additional biographical data we can collect on these men. I am beginning the project with 1916, partly because this is one of the years for which the BT published a 'Memorial Book', collecting together edited versions of all the obituaries and also because of the forthcoming 90th anniversaries of the battles of that year.

As I relate elsewhere we have already started to encounter a few complete 'men of mystery' of whom no trace can be found on CWGC, SDGW or Medal Index Cards. Nevertheless work is going ahead steadily. Any Pal who might have information which could be of assistance is invited to contact me via the forum.

Mark
Hope you dont mind me contacting you, regards to your work on Bury, have you by chance come across any soldiers who died serving with the King's Shropshire L.I., if so do you have any newspaper obituries and can share with me I am doing a project on the King's Shropshire L.I., who died in the Great War, and what the newspapers had to say.
if you can help I would be very grateful

I should be able to look this up. Our database has been reformatted but Bury Archives are currently generating their own, based on the obituaries in their newly digitised versions of five local newspapers. The database is not yet available and I don't think that it includes details of burial and commemoration.

Mark

Thanks for reply if you do have any obits for these lads would be grateful for a copie

all the best PHIL

Sergeant William Whearcroft, 13696, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action THE TRENCHES AT YPRES 5th December 1915, born Tottington, Bury, Lancashire, enlisted Bury, resident Bury.

Private Thomas Wild, 14955, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action BATTLE OF HOOGE, YPRES, 24th September 1915, born St. Thomas, Bury, enlisted Bury.

Private George Dixon, 6689, 2ND KSLI Killed in Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES 25th May 1915, born Bury, Lancashire,

Private Fred Hardman, 7278, 1ST KSLI Killed in Action at HOOGE, YPRES, 9th August 1915, aged 31, born St. John’s, Bury, enlisted Lancaster; son of Joseph and Mary Ellen Hardmam; husband of Annie Hardman

Private John Thomas Longworth, 7021, 2ND KSLI Killed in Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES 25th May 1915, born Bolton, enlisted Bury.

Private, Herbert Makin, 7506, 1/4TH KSLI Killed in action Ypres 19th April 1918. Born St. Joseph’s, Bury, enlisted Manchester.

I looked through our digital scans and found Hardman , Wheatcroft (sic) and Wild. I couldn't find Dixon or Longworth. Please note that the Memorial Book only published brief capsule biographies-the original newspaper ones are far fuller. I'll post the photos and brief biographical details when I have a moment.

Sorry for using this thread Mark but,

Hi Phil, re KSLI, can't send you a pm, your mailbox may be full?

We have set up the Roll Of Honour for St Helens and it's surrounding area http://www.sthelensr...nour.co.uk/home. These are all the men that served in the KSLI.
Search on the name and see if there is anything of interest and, if you have anything else on the men that we don't, any info/photos would be appreciated.
Regards,
Ste
All casualties from King's Shropshire Light Infantry
Thomas ASHALL - Private 43461 - - 1st Bn.
Thomas ASHTON - Private 205219 - - 7th Bn.
Joseph ATHERTON - Private 7057 - - 1st Bn.
Joseph CARDWELL - Private 35256 - - 7th Bn.
Frederick CASSIDY - Private 7564 - - 1st Bn.
William EDEN - Private 20076 - - 10th Bn.
Peter ORRELL - Private 35847 - - 1st/4th Bn.
William Arthur WILLIAMS - Private 33373 - - 5th Bn.
Joseph WILSON - Private 43518 - - 1st Bn.
Austin WINSTANLEY - Private 32905 - - 10th Bn.
Ralph HULL - Private 26992 - - 7th Bn.
Richard PORTER - Private 43393 - - 1st Bn.
Peter GREELEY - Private 7640 - - 7th Bn.
William FOSTER - Private 24166 - - 7th Bn.
Walter Edward HILL - Private 43656 - - 7th Bn.
Robert LEAVER - - (Unidentified)
Joseph SMITH - Private 43512 - - 1st Bn.
Henry LOMAX - Private 43474 - - 1st Bn.
Joseph James RIDYARD - Private 205853 - - 7th Bn.
Robert WEBSTER - Private 32910 - - 10th Bn.
Thomas MALONE - Private 43280 - - 1st Bn.
Jonas ANDERS - Private 19975 - - 1st Bn.
John UNSWORTH - Private 20263 - - 7th Bn.
Victor LEAVER - Private 24083 - - 7th Bn.​

I looked through our digital scans and found Hardman , Wheatcroft (sic) and Wild. I couldn't find Dixon or Longworth. Please note that the Memorial Book only published brief capsule biographies-the original newspaper ones are far fuller. I'll post the photos and brief biographical details when I have a moment.

Cheers Mark

Very good of you, do you know who or where to find the full obituaries,

all the best

PHIL

Mark

Thanks for reply if you do have any obits for these lads would be grateful for a copie

all the best PHIL

Sergeant William Whearcroft, 13696, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action THE TRENCHES AT YPRES 5th December 1915, born Tottington, Bury, Lancashire, enlisted Bury, resident Bury.

Private Thomas Wild, 14955, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action BATTLE OF HOOGE, YPRES, 24th September 1915, born St. Thomas, Bury, enlisted Bury.

Private George Dixon, 6689, 2ND KSLI Killed in Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES 25th May 1915, born Bury, Lancashire,

Private Fred Hardman, 7278, 1ST KSLI Killed in Action at HOOGE, YPRES, 9th August 1915, aged 31, born St. John’s, Bury, enlisted Lancaster; son of Joseph and Mary Ellen Hardmam; husband of Annie Hardman

Private John Thomas Longworth, 7021, 2ND KSLI Killed in Action Battle of BELLEWAERDE RIDGE YPRES 25th May 1915, born Bolton, enlisted Bury.

Private, Herbert Makin, 7506, 1/4TH KSLI Killed in action Ypres 19th April 1918. Born St. Joseph’s, Bury, enlisted Manchester.

Cheers STE

Good list of lads from St. Helen's area thanks for the list and a good site you have put together, regards to anything to had to yours sorry I have nothing as of yet,

but will keep you in mind if anything turns up.

have you gone through any of the local papers at St. Helen's archive or library

all the best

PHIL

Thanks Phil, yes have been going through both our papers for the last 12 months or so and added over 3000 photos and or articles. If you go on to the Gallery section you can search on an individual name, place ,topic, theme etc. Some are better quality than others but we think we have opened up much more info, to those who are looking, than was previously as easily accessed.

Regards,

Ste

Hello

Glad to see another local project happening

I wonder if any information may be found for my relation

John Thistleton,

He is single and a Sergeant in 1st Battallion, Lancashire Fusiliers in 1911
Found a service\medal card for WW1
Possible marriage to Lily Duckworth, In 1914 at St Stephen Elton, Bury

He did survive, but think he passed away in 1938

Cheers

John Melling

www.claytonandwhittleatwar.co.uk

We have only digitised the memorial books. Bury Archives is digitising five local newspapers for the Great War and the plan eventually is to make the database searchable; the wedding will almost certainly be recorded.

cheers Mark great photos do you have the name and date of newspapers

cheers again

PHIL

Mark

Thanks again if you in the future make a visit to the Bury Archive would you make a not of the three soldiers I require i-e full obituaries happy to pay you for the photo copies ex.

Private Fred Hardman, 7278, 1ST KSLI Killed in Action at HOOGE, YPRES, 9th August 1915.

Sergeant William Whearcroft, 13696, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action THE TRENCHES AT YPRES 5th December 1915.

Private Thomas Wild, 14955, 5TH KSLI Killed in Action BATTLE OF HOOGE, YPRES, 24th September 1915.

thanks again for what you have sent

All the best

PHILIP

• 1 year later...

Mark, do you have any information about a man who moved from Macclesfield to Chesham near Bury and enlisted in Bury? Alfred William Smith, 282581 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, killed in action 6 Sept 1917.

I found a reference to him on the Bury Unitarian Church website which stated that he was named on the Chesham (Bury) Unitarian Church war memorial, but looking at a photo of that memorial shows that the man is named Albert Smith, not Alfred. They also say he is named on St Saviour's war memorial in Macclesfield but we do not have a church by that name! So I'm a bit wary of copying the information and would prefer to find the original source if I can. I'm planning to write to them  and ask (they have no email contact details).

I realise that there could have been a mistake when the names were added to the Bury memorial but I would like to know if he was named on any other Bury memorials, and I'd also like a digital copy of the photo and obituary (which the church found in a newspaper) for our website if that's possible. Thanks.
The link to the Bury Unitarian Church's research is on our website at http://macclesfieldreflects.org.uk/1917/09/06/smith-alfred-w/

To be honest I've also found a few mistakes on the information from that Unitarian Church website (we all make them). I'll have a look in the 1917 Bury Times and if I find the obit I'll email you a copy. It might be a few days but give me a nudge if I haven't responded by this time next week.

Thank you very much, I'm most grateful.

I think, as a latecomer to WWI research, I have an advantage in that far more information is available online now, so it's a bit easier to confirm some of the details.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark,

I originally posted on this thread on the 18th of February 2014. Due to the recent advances in information since that time, is there any way that you could possibly search for my Great Grandfather? He was able seaman James Hutchinson R/5790. There is more information regarding his service in my original post. 

Kind regards Jenny757