Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery locations

gem22

I don't know if the following information is widely known but I have just had an email from the CWGC, in reply to one I sent, stating that they will be upgrading their web site later this year.

The new web site will have extra search facilities that will enable enquirers to enter the name of a cemetery and thus get details of the location of the cemetery. Though I'm not sure if this applies to cemeteries in the U.K

I think this is an upgrade that is well overdue and should be applauded. I'm hoping that it will reduce the number of wrong roads my navigator sends me down because she cannot read the overprinted maps we have relied on up to now.

Garth

This is interesting news. Hope they update the location information for all theatres of war as some of that provided on the information sheet covering CWGC cemeteries in Greece is rather dodgY. Once spent 4 hours driving round the Thessaloniki ring-road in the boiling afternoon sun looking for the Mikra Bay Cemetery - many beers were sunk that evening, especially by our driver!.

ALAN WAKEFIELD

See my earlier postings on this subject under 'New CWGC Web Site'.

I am assisting with the development of the new site and already have access to the prototype.

Plans of cemeteries will be provided where they existed in the now defunct registers. Only a few were produced for the UK. The new search facility on Cemetery Names applies to all locations (25000 of them worldwide).

I am keeping Pals informed of new developments.