Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

33rd Battalion MGC

Raster Scanning

Just picked up the above, quite a rare large format book produced in 1919 and limited to 1600 copies, this is number 188).

Lots of names, citations, pictures, maps, etc.

Any look ups welcome.

John.

post-16-1061281818.jpg

Public health warning... (as someone who has copy 120 of the limited edition, and has handled the proof copy, complete with marginalia, as belongs to the Col's son)

Lt Col Graham Seton Hutchison DSO MC, CO 33 Bn MGC (late Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) was the single best chronicler of MGC units at war. In fact, one of the only... He was a fine CO - that is documented. However, oh boy, did he puff up the 33rd Bn. He implies it was the most highly decorated MGC unit of the war. Close, but no cigar. (He did a good job by writing up his officers, oh yes!) Two other MGC Bns received more awards than his.

What really has us scratching our heads is that he attempts to claim that 33 Bn basically halted the German advance in 1918 - and, if you read the text a certain way (as may have been intended) therefore 'won the war'. His pride in his officers and men, justified. But oh boy, did he over-egg it. (This caused waves in the 1930s as he tried to control the then MGC OCA) Our efforts at a history are considering other sources BEFORE relying on this book.

Don't get me wrong, it's a well written narrative (as befits a later best selling novelist, as he was) but it's far from a balanced account of the efforts of the MGC. But if you've anything to 33rd Bn, indeed, good chance of finding it here. (The analogy that conjures is Mountbatten and the Kelly; you'd think Kelly changed the course of the naval war in the Med in WW2 -hardly, but it had a charismatic, PR friendly captain)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Its a good book (I've got number 134). Above all the artist drawn illustrations are brilliant. Its a fantastic keepsake and one that can only apprecite in value in the years to come.

Ian

:)

Thanks for the warning guys.

The book was previously owned by Thomas Harry Clay probably from the 33rd.

Ian I agree, the illustrations sold it for me.

Cheers

post-16-1061379820.jpg