Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dosetshire Regiment

Guest Polycell

Guest Polycell

My dad, who died in 1971 when I was 26, served with the Dorsetshire regiment during the Mesopotamia campaign as a Corporal. HELP please.

I'd love to learn some more of his war anyone any info on the Dorsets? Please

Fred

Welcome to the forum Fred.

As Lee has just said if you haven't already looked then the main site will provide details of the Dorsetshire battalions here

Your father would most likely have been in the 2nd or 1/4th Bn.

Are you able to provide some further details about him which may assist in narrowing things down a little?

Regards

Marc

My family too were Dorsets. I have the Regimental history and could provide you with a detailed account.

You will find 'The Keep' in Dorchester, the military museum for the Devon & Dorset Regiments an excellent place to visit. They also have a web-site at http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/ as well as an online shop where you could obtain a copy of the recently re-published 'The History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-1919.

Alan Seymour

Fred,

You might also try and get hold of a copy of the official history of the campaign that are in re-print by Battery Press in conjunction with the Imperial War Museum.

If your father was in 2nd Dorsets a book that you might find interesting is "The Legion of Marching Madmen" by W J Blackledge who served with the battalion until the surrender at Kut.

His book is full of 'colour' and will give you a great insight into the campaign. This book was published by Sampson Low (I think in the 30's) and so you will have to try and track it down.

Out of interest, do you have any info from your father about this campaign? I am doing (very slow) research into the early part of the campaign in Mesopotamia and any information is appreciated.

Brendon Moorhouse.