Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
KONDOA

Royal Artillery Units

Enrybm

Hi my first post and have not read all posts in the chain. However the topic is just right I hope.

My grandfather Thomas Arthur Robinson was I believe in the RFA as a "Driver".

He came to Dundalk in time to meet , marry my Gran Mary Anne Darcy in 1919. Question is

what RFA regts were in Dundalk at that time and is there any list of the soldiers themselves.

The "belief" comes from a cousin who knew my grandfather and remembers his army stint involved horses and that after the army, his work involved horses. 

I have found a Thomas Robinson in medal rolls in RFA. Also another soldier Horace Coles marries my Grans sister. Seems 2 friends marry 2 sisters. 

Any help gratefully received as finding out more of less the last piece of the family tree.

Martin

kildaremark

The marriage was on 12 November 1919.

Horace Coles and Kathleen Darcy married on 20 March 1920 in Dundalk.

Worth checking the Royal Artillery regimental books on FMP which list all gunners from 1920 when the BA was renumbered. If he is in this, it will show his old regimental number and place of birth which will help you with the Medal Rolls.

I haven't got the History of the 5th Division to hand to confirm what Brigade was in Dundalk in 1919-21. but I'm sure someone will provide it quite soon.

[Edit: XXXIII Brigade, Royal Field Artillery in Dundalk post-war consisting of 137th, 138th, 139th Batteries. However, remember that it is highly unlikely that he was with any of these batteries during the war.  Also worth noting that there are a few other soldiers who married girls in Dundalk during this period so if you can't find records for your two men, researching these might help some way. Thomas Stretton married 27 Dec 1919; Martin McMenin [?]. Bombardier RFA married 28 Nov 1919; There are plenty more of them .. stealing our women... although as they were marrying Catholics, you may well also find them being baptised as Catholics in the local church also before the weddings as I'm sure most of them were not RC. ]

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

Enrybm
13 hours ago, kildaremark said:

Worth checking the Royal Artillery regimental books on FMP which list all gunners from 1920 when the BA was renumbered. If he is in this, it will show his old regimental number and place of birth which will help you with the Medal Rolls.

I haven't got the History of the 5th Division to hand to confirm what Brigade was in Dundalk in 1919-21. but I'm sure someone will provide it quite soon.

[Edit: XXXIII Brigade, Royal Field Artillery in Dundalk post-war consisting of 137th, 138th, 139th Batteries. However, remember that it is highly unlikely that he was with any of these batteries during the war.  Also worth noting that there are a few other soldiers who married girls in Dundalk during this period so if you can't find records for your two men, researching these might help some way. Thomas Stretton married 27 Dec 1919; Martin McMenin [?]. Bombardier RFA married 28 Nov 1919; There are plenty more of them .. stealing our women... although as they were marrying Catholics, you may well also find them being baptised as Catholics in the local church also before the weddings as I'm sure most of them were not RC. ]

Mark

Mark 

you found the right marriages

can you elaborate on Royal Artillery Regimental Books? I've in past just searched army and RFA but not regimental books

i don't have fmp membership so a trip to library needed

last time I looked too many Thomas Robinson.

Martin

kildaremark

Hi Martin

The entire British army was renumbered in August 1920 and each regiment was allocated a sequence of numbers which were recorded in ledgers most of which I believe have survived. The Royal Artillery ones are in the possession of the Royal Artillery Museum at Woolwich but were digitized by FMP. However, they are no use to you if your man was demobilized in 1919 or 1920 but if your man was still in the BA in the middle of 1920 then he will be recorded in the books. A search on FMP under the misleading title "Royal Artillery attestations" will give you many men with the same name as your relative although the year of birth will give you some idea if he is there. in the absence of service records, this a is a great resource and worth whatever the charge is to get access.

Mark

Maureene

I believe there are at least some records from 1919 in the findmypast database referred to above, Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942.

Cheers

Maureen

Enrybm
On 20 March 2017 at 20:45, kildaremark said:

Mark

Mark 

you found the right marriages

can you elaborate on Royal Artillery Regimental Books? I've in past just searched army and RFA but not regimental books

i don't have fmp membership so a trip to library needed

last time I looked too many Thomas Robinson.

Martin

Enrybm

Hi

found my grandfather Thomas Arthur Robinson in medal rolls - see attached. Can anyone determine what RFA Regt he was in.

In the RFA Attestation I know his later Regt No was 1032599 and he enlisted in Jan 1915 and was discharged in 1927.

Martin

in image.jpg

brianmorris547

Martin

His records should be with the Veterans Agengy if he was still serving in 1927.

He disembarked on 12/07/1915 which is consistent with the arrival in Alexandria of 58 Brigade RFA of 11(Northern) Div. The Brigade then arrived in Lemnos on 01/08/1915 and landed at B Beach (Suvla Bay) on 09/08/1915. The WDs of the Brigade and the CRA are on Ancestry under Gallipoli, RFA, II Div. 

Brian

Mark S Williams

Hello

I'm researching my Grandfather, Alfred George Bates (born 17/3/1889) who appears to have served both in the Merchant Navy and the Royal Field Artillery in WWI as reflected in the Medals Indexes.

I would like to find details of his service history under the RFA where his service number was 91657 and he was a driver.  I cannot determine which division/brigade he was in nor where he might have served.  I would be grateful for any assistance as to where to look etc.

Medal index for RFA - WO 372/2/36411

Medal index for Merchant Navy WWI - BT 395/1/5363

Medal index for Merchant Navy WWII - BT 351/1/8215

Thank you

David Porter

Welcome to the Forum, Mark

He has a card with his picture on in "Britain, merchant seamen, 1918-1941" on the Findmypast website. This says born in St. Helier, Jersey. There is no date given as to when he joined the Merchant Navy. His RFA number puts him enlisting in Guernsey on or just after May 29, 1916 as part of 9th Divisional Ammunition Column reinforcements. Men from Guernsey were gathered in groups and shipped over to mainland UK once enough had enlisted. Your grandfather joined 45th Reserve Battery, 3C Reserve Brigade RFA, Swanage on June 17, 1916 with at least 60 other men from Guernsey. 9th DAC had been formed in Guernsey in March 1915, and was also known as the Guernsey Artillery Contingent. However, the so called reinforcements that followed did not necessarily join 9th DAC and became available for posting to any unit. Consequently, I cannot give a definite brigade or division he would have ended up in.

Mark S Williams

Hello David

Thank you very much for your reply and the detailed information you've provided.  My research has revealed that he was a steward aboard Great Western Railway Steamships from certainly 1906.  His transition to the RFA is intriguing.  According to my mother he was afraid of horses and so deliberately joined the RFA. She recalls that he was a "rough rider" - would that fit and what does it mean?  One presumes driver equates to cars but I imagine it actually means gun carriages.  We have a set of brass stirrups - would that equate in any way?  I cannot find his service record so I presume it was destroyed in WWII.  Any more details or insights you can provide to the life of an RFA driver would be fantastic.

Thank you

Mark

Jacorb

Hello I am aware that I'm asking after a year but I am having trouble with finding my great grand uncles unit. His name is George Edward Doughty , he was in the RFA, his regimental number was 23665. Any info would be great, thanks. He might have enlisted at Yorkshire or Nottingham. Again thanks for any info.

Edited by Jacorb

David26
On 26/03/2017 at 15:03, Enrybm said:

Hi

found my grandfather Thomas Arthur Robinson in medal rolls - see attached. Can anyone determine what RFA Regt he was in.

In the RFA Attestation I know his later Regt No was 1032599 and he enlisted in Jan 1915 and was discharged in 1927.

Martin

in image.jpg

Martin,

Might I ask if you ever followed up Brian's suggestion of seeking his papers from the MOD?  My particular interest would be to find out whether your grandfather did turn out to be in 58 Bde RFA since I'm compiling details of all those who I can confirm did serve in it (www.58FAB.com).

The date of entry of 12 Jul 15 might suggest, as Brian says, that he may have gone out with that brigade on the SS Knight Templar, but unfortunately the dates are often rather inaccurate and men of other brigades were arriving at much the same time so it's by no means certain just from the date as to which brigade he was serving in.  

David. 

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
57 minutes ago, Jacorb said:

Hello I am aware that I'm asking after a year but I am having trouble with finding my great grand uncles unit. His name is George Edward Doughty , he was in the RFA, his regimental number was 23665. Any info would be great, thanks. He might have enlisted at Yorkshire or Nottingham. Again thanks for any info.

Jacorb,

I would suggest that as you are seeking specific information about a specific soldier, you should begin a new post in the 'Soldiers' part of the forum:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/forum/1-soldiers/

Before posting, read the bit that says:

"Before you ask about researching a soldier

BE SURE TO READ THIS

Before you ask a question about finding a soldier's service record or medal index card, please make sure you have first visited "Researching a soldier" at The Long, Long Trail website. The answer is there in 90% of cases. There's a link to it at top-left of this page."

And I would chose a thread title along the lines of "George Edward Doughty, 23665 RFA. In the main body of your post I would suggest posting as much information that you know about him- date of birth, address, parents, children, job etc etc and what information you are seeking. It will help others point you in the right direction.

That way, as a new thread, the title will immediately appear on the main Forum page, and his details will be automatically indexed, and searchable in future, if anyone such as a very distant relative seeks information. This thread was originally started in order to further the knowledge about the numbering schemes, and subsequent renumbering schemes in the RFA., but sadly, lots of specific requests about individuals have occurred over the years, 6 or 7 on the first page alone. Information about those individuals is much harder to search for than if they had a thread devoted to just them.