Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Records of the Old Contemptibles Association?

2ndCMR

I recently acquired a lapel badge for the Old Contemptibles Association. It is hand-stamped "972A" on the reverse and also has a registration number "726347", which may be the design rather than the badge; I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if their records still exist somewhere?

I concur with ianw - I have never seen any references to a central archive of material relating to the Old Contemptibles, although I've come across bits and pieces in a local archive.

Swizz

• 11 years later...
On 22/11/2005 at 19:57, 2ndCMR said:

I recently acquired a lapel badge for the Old Contemptibles Association. It is hand-stamped "972A" on the reverse and also has a registration number "726347", which may be the design rather than the badge; I'm not sure.

As I have just taken over the Chair of the Royal British Legion Eastbourne, I have been going through some of the memorabilia at our depot.

That is our branch number, I may within the docs I've found be able to put a name to the badge?

On 05/08/2017 at 17:09, Woggley said:

As I have just taken over the Chair of the Royal British Legion Eastbourne, I have been going through some of the memorabilia at our depot.

That is our branch number, I may within the docs I've found be able to put a name to the badge?

Interesting.  I suppose that local BL records might well record early members corresponding OCA numbers but I have not heard this suggested before.

The reg number is common to all the badges - it is certainly on a badge I have just acquired and that I am looking at now hand stamped "2123".

As Ian states reg number 726347 is common to the Old Contemptible Association lapel badges. Here are a few examples showing this.

Sepoy

Untitled-37 (2).jpg

Untitled-37a.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

I wore an O.C.A badge in honour of my O.C Grandfather and the approx 10,000(?) O.C's listed on the Menin Gate at the Last Post ceremony on 30.7.17. 

(Not his badge but one of a fellow 19th Hussars N.C.O)

On 22/11/2005 at 19:57, 2ndCMR said:

The IWM had a large set of Old Contemptibles Association journals when I was last in the Lower Stacks some 5-6 years ago during the WFA map scanning. I spent some time looking thorough them but that stopped during that time as they were vacuum packed. The Lower Stacks and their contents (maps, books, journals etc.) were moved to make way for the recent refurbishment, I assume they went to Duxford but do not know for sure.

Once sets of magazines are vacuum packed, some staff are reluctant to retrieve them as it involves more work and having to re-pack them afterwards, easier to deny their existence. It may be of course that they have been lost on their database, lost physically, burnt or sold, who knows but they were there just a short while ago.

Howard

• 1 year later...

The number 726347 relates to the badge design's registration with the Patent Office. The number can also be seen below printed versions of The Old Contemptibles' Association badge used in their journal 'The Old Contemptible' and on headed stationery.

Edited by AndrewThornton