Remembered Today:

Something to make the eyes WATER!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Taken from a silver war badge roll of the Suffolk Regiment:

38807 Pte Ernest BALDWIN 1st Res Bn - Discharged Sick: Large Scrotal Hernia :o

Beats dropping a bayonet on your foot :lol:

Ian

now, if the site could do voice-overs, we could be entertained with a rendition from those who profess to know the words. In my version, there is no mangle. And its not in Brophy and Partridge, either. Not the mangle, the ditty.

Yes, I am looking at the words now and there definitely IS a mangle! And I'm a woman and I know about these things.....mangles that is.

Sue

Speaking only for myself you understand - I think this thread is vulgar, inappropriate to the aims of this forum and, therefore, unfunny.

It appears that the only reason we can find for remembering Pte. Baldwin is that his records contain the word "Scrotal."

Time and Place.

Tom

on the subject of wobbly bits, Lt and QM Harry Yates, 2RWF, has only one injury/wound/hospitalisation on his long long record. As a young soldier he was hospitalised with orchitis caused by a collision with a vaulting horse in the gym. More eye watering stuff. From his file at the Notional Archive [not a miss-spelling]

On reflection, I tend to agree with Tom.

However, I think that the words of this wonderful Great War song are certainly fit for discussion in "Chit-Chat" perhaps rather than "Soldiers". I recall that it features in one of Lyn MacDonald's books where a battalion's rendition of it on the march upsets the sensibilities of Haig or some Divisional Commander . Apologies to Pte Baldwin for making light of his condition.

being a newcomer I thought it was alright to snigger even if only because our leader made mention of balls. However, my apologies to the shades of the thus afflicted.

I have made my last funny [that is, if any of them were ...........