Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46th Canadian Infantry Battalion record

Guest Strand

I'm trying to find where an ancestor of mine, Private William James Brown #782264 was killed on April 21st 1918. He enlisted in the 128th Canadian infantry battalion in 1916 which was later formed into the 46th Infantry battalion. I would also like to find in which battles he fought in.

Thanks, Strand

You are lucky, because the diary kept for this unit were very detailed. Over 90 pages. The page you are looking for is posted below, but you may want to read the rest. Your relative is mentioned on this page as one of four men killed when a shell hit the transport lines.

Go here to find all the entries:

46th Battalion Saskatchewan War Diary

Read through it all and you may discover more. I only looked at it for a few minutes, so I may be off on my impressions. The page I have attached is page 13 for the month of April. The location (which shows up a few pages earlier) is Maroieul.

There is another reference to the incident on April 21 later on in the diaries (pages 90-93).

Please note that the above link takes you to one set of the diaries. For the other war years, all the 46th Battalion war diaries can be found - here.

post-3697-1132635255.jpg

The 46th CEF Battalion [aka Suicide Battalion].

46th Battalion, CEF on the Saskatchewan Dragoons Sept 2005

The 46th Battalion is perpetuated by the Saskatchewan Dragoons, and the web site of the latter provides a detailed description of the Battle Honours for the 46th, which includes Mount Sorrel, The Somme, Ancre Heights, Vimy, Arras, Hill 70, Ypres 1917, Passchendaele, Amiens, Drocourt-Queant, Canal du Nord and Valenciennes.

[Recommended by Brett Payne]

http://www.saskd.ca/skd-hon.htm

• 10 years later...

A good  read is The Suicide Battalion by James L McWilliams & R. James Steel, published 1978. It plots the journey of the 46th through the Great War. I picked up a copy through Amazon at a good price. Keith McGaw

• 2 years later...

I have recently discovered that my grandmother's cousin, Pte George Allan Evans from Chilliwack (British Columbia) was in this battalion during WW1. On 6 May 1917 he was KIA. In 1916 he had volunteered and signed up to the war effort in Vancouver. It was his 18th birthday and he was killed a year and a month later - he was 19 years of age. I have a copy of his service record, but I would very much like to access the war diary and the other links mentioned above but I don't seem to be able to access any of them. Can anyone tell me where I can get information on the 46th Battalion diary please? Thank you. 

ps. I am going to source a copy of the book, The Suicide Battalion.

Wow! Thank you Chris! I've just been reading the diary leading up to the day, 6 May 1917 when Pte George Allan Evans disappeared. What an absolute hell. Poor lad. He came from a nice home, a farmer's son - the family must have been devastated. Thank you for helping me to locate the diary - much appreciated! Kind regards, Sarah

Hi Sarah,

If you were to need any help in interpreting the map references, see here. For added context, it might also be worth looking at the Brigade HQ. and Division HQ diaries.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Thanks very much Chris - will do!