Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 German Officers Photo Albums

StAubyns

Brian

If we can't get the information here, I can't image anywhere else where it would be possible. There is'nt a lot to go on at this stage of the album.

I am tempted to miss a few pages and progress to the photos with text to see if that makes the indentification easier.

I have a technical problem with the scanner at the moment and will post more asap.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far

Geoff

egbert, thanks for the encouragement

David, you have prompted me to have another look - theres no "t"; its "Jochery"

Geoff

Hello Geoff, Egbert and Ian

Page 8 photos 1 - 4 were shot in the north of the Eastern Front. This is absolutely guaranteed.

The pic of the cottages was shot in Northern Poland, Lithuania or Latvia.

The town is to locate either in East Prussia (Germany) or also Lithuania - Latvia.

The road with (per 100%) Russian POW's was (or still is) also in the same areas.

Malte

One of these 4 photos perhaps has useful information. I have done a close up of the section concerned

Page 9 Photo 1

A2P9P1o.jpg

Page 9 Photo 2

A2P9P2o.jpg

So now we have got the unit !

Ldw.Fs.A.Btl. I

1. Batt. (s.F.H.)

means:

Landwehr-Fußartillerie-Bataillon des I. Armeekorps

1. Batterie (schwere Feldhaubitzen)

1. Geschütz

Egbert might translate this to English.

This unit is one of the third line. It was created by German I. Army Corps (East Prussia).

So now we have got the unit !

Ldw.Fs.A.Btl. I

1. Batt. (s.F.H.)

means:

Landwehr-Fußartillerie-Bataillon des I. Armeekorps

1. Batterie (schwere Feldhaubitzen)

1. Geschütz

Egbert might translate this to English.

This unit is one of the third line. It was created by German I. Army Corps (East Prussia).

This is the Landwehr Foot Artillery (Heavy Artillery) Battalion of the 1st Army Corps, HQ at Koenigsberg, at extreme easterly East Prussia.

!st Battery (heavy field howitzers) This term is usually used for 15 cm howitzers, but this gun is a very old model (not surprising with the Landwehr) and might possibly be another caliber, although it probably was 15 cm. (Landwehr was a level of reserves with lower readyness than Reserve, but higher than Landsturm. Originally most of the men would be in their mid-30s and were not having much active training any more as reservists.)

!st gun (of the 1st Battery)

However, didn't we establish that the officers in the album were with a field artillery unit; was it FAR 22?

Bob Lembke