Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hislop thumbs up

Desmond7

I also enjoyed the episode earlier tonight. Did anyone try to access the channel4 website re this show? I clicked on "survivors" in the not forgotten section and it appeared to be broken.

Robbie

Just a postscript to William Leefe Robinson story.After his triumph of downing the Zeppelin , Captain Robinson ( as he was then ) went to France as a Flight Commander. He was engaged in a dog fight with German air ace Festner in May 1917, when due to engine trouble he was forced to land in a field near Douai.Festner persued him downwards but was prevented from destroying Robinson and his plane by Robinson's use of his machine gun. As his descent was well behind the enemy lines and escape impossible, Robinson was taken prisoner. He remained in captivity until the signing of the Armistice when he was released, arriving in England on December 14th 1918. He had made several attempts to escape and was as Hislop said put in solitary confinement. On reaching home he bore evidence of the harsh treatment he had received as a P.O.W.

Captain Robinson was engaged to be married to Mrs. Joan Whipple, the widow of Capt. H.C.Whipple of the Devonshire regiment. He spent Christmas with her and his sister Baroness Heyking at Stanmore when hewas taken ill and died on 31st December 1918. His cause of death was influenza, but his relatives let it be known through the Press that when he arrived home he was a tired and broken man. The horrors which he had endured during his captivity has sapped his resistance and his health. It was the " refinement of torture" he had inflicted upon him at Holzminden by an officer named Niemeyer that was the contributory factor in Robinson's early death.As Robinson stated himself that they had tried to reduce him to a physical wreck in revenge for the killing of Captain Schramm who died in the wreck of L21. As there is a doubt that it was L21 that Robinson shot down L21 then it would have been a terrible thing for Robinson to endure but according to the newspapers at the time "he bore it all in silence and with great bravery"

He was known as the English Redfly and he was buried at Wealdstone on Jan 3rd 1919 with full military honours. He was 23 years old.

My thanks to C.T.Perfects account of the pasing of William Leefe Robinson VC.

Great finish to the series, and yes we could have done with much more. The Luton riot was fascinating and just showed the attitude of the "better classes" then. "Keep the home fires burning" - classic !

I would like to see a programme devoted to how the men returning to their "land fit for heroes" were actaully treated. How come with nearly a million dead and many more incapacitated, there were no jobs for so many. Was it because of the women in the workplace or the bankrupt economy ?

Patrick

Hi All

I have transfered the 4 episodes to DVD I have a spare any takers.

John

Hi All

John

Yes please and how much

Patrick

The tradgedy of Leefe Robinson V.C. living through captivity only to be taken by influenza, the young scot flyer who never got over his trauma, and John MacAuley and his macabre souvenirs, taken from a German he killed in revenge for his brother.

You forgot to mention my "local hero" in your list - Thomas Whittam VC!!!

D.

I've also archived the series, although direct to DVD-RAM. I can also do conversions to NTSC format (tape of DVD-R) for any Pals in North America who want to see the series.

Edited by Nick Cooper

He was known as the English Redfly and he was buried at Wealdstone on Jan 3rd 1919 with full military honours. He was 23 years old.

My thanks to C.T.Perfects account of the pasing of William Leefe Robinson VC.

I believe it was Harrow Weald cemetery that W Leefe Robinson was buried in, by All Saints Church, Harrow Weald. I may be wrong, but my grandmother and great aunt lived in that area at the time. My great grandmother is said to be buried in the same cemetery, but I have not yet been back down south to find the headstone!

Have just watched the fourth part of the series (taped it, as it was on too late in Wales), and found it very interesting.

Jan

Hi All

John

John,

received this morning thanks very much. You sure I dont owe you anything. If I cannot persuade you then I will make a donation to the forum

Thanks

Patrick

John,

received this morning thanks very much. You sure I dont owe you anything. If I cannot persuade you then I will make a donation to the forum

Thanks

Patrick

Please do

Regards

John